Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

Should my VR overheat with the Aux water pump disconnected

i've had the Aux water pump disconnected for a week now and one thing i noticed is the temp stays on half all the time should it not over heat a little

"half"?

You mean half way up the scale? That being around 85 degrees?

The Aux pump isn't really necessary for normal loads in normal ambient air temperatures. It's main purpose is to provide run-on water circulation after you switch the engine off.

It's better to fix it for that alone than to worry about it while you're driving along..

Often meant to ask someone, is the aux pump switched on/off with the fans or does it have independent switching? I can never tell if mine actually works because its either:

drowned out by the fan noise

very quiet

temps not high enough to turn it on

or its dead

Grateful for any words of wisdom.

The Auxilary water pump is used when the temps get really hot and there is a sensor in the thermostat housing that controls it. It is also used when the car is sitting after it has been turned off. If you have a newer VR6 like my 1994 the auxilary water pump will turn on as soon as the ignition has been turned on and will continue to run for about 10 minutes after the car has been shut off no matter what. These pumps are wisper quite and you will probably never hear it unless your ear is right on it. When I shu my car off I can hear it buzzing but not qith the car running.

Cheers, Dennis