Sign in to follow this  
scruffydubbers

vr6 rev limiter

hi

i have just carried out a vr6 engine conversion to my 16v, the engine is a late 2.8 highline engine.

what revs do a standard engine limit at, because it revs to the end of the dial, but its still pulling all the way, is this normal or could it possibly have been chipped?

Dont break it will you :) ?

Mine bounces off the limiter bout 7k ish but only did it by mistake.

You should never take your car into the red because you loose power after around 5 and a bit thousand revs, you car will scream its nuts off and you have lost power, the best thing is to change at around 55 /6000 revs if not less and start to pick up power and speed from the next gear. It does work, trust me, when you race you think of yourself as a rallye driver and screaming the engine because your all hyped up, if you relax, make a good gear change at sensible revs and then back down hard on the throttle you will notice a better result.

I know I have run off slightly what you asked but its still relevant to your topic mate 8)

Peak power on a VR is 5500rpm... therefore I change up between 5500rpm and 6000rpm....

Revving even harder as mentioned you will not gain anything from apart from possible damage to engine...

One thing to note is that if you rev to 6500 - 7000 rpm when you change gear you will already be in the middle to end of the peak torque range.......

thanks for the replys it sounds pretty normal.

it seems to have power all the way tho, i am gonna get it re-mapped/chiped and set up after a couple of mods to make sure its all running right.

thanks for the help

Revving even harder as mentioned you will not gain anything from apart from possible damage to engine...

Sorry to say, but if VW set the rev limit at 6800 (for example) then a well maintained VR6 will sit at 6800 all day long with no more risk of damage than sitting at 1500RPM. That's why VW set the rev limit in the first place.

You will experience inreased wear...but on a well maintained engine, using quality oil and fuel, sitting just below the rev limit will not harm the engine.

One thing to note is that if you rev to 6500 - 7000 rpm when you change gear you will already be in the middle to end of the peak torque range.......

...and this can be a good thing. The Corrado VR6 has an absolutely awful set of long geared gear ratios...so keeping the revs up will assist you in getting the engine back onto peak torque (or higher) as you rev to peak power in the next gear.

Only on engines like chipped 1.8T's where they don't like to rev and produce silly torque low down is changing up early the faster way of getting from a to b.

On the VR6 in either the Golf or Corrado, I have always found that changing up just before the rev limiter to be the fastest way of getting going.

Perhaps not the most mechanically sympathetic...but the quickest!