Sign in to follow this  
vr6storm

ABS query

ok here's the story

had a minor water leak into the cabin a few weeks back :shock: ........and the water was dripping nicely near the top of the ABS ECU-controller.....resulting in the ABS light coming on for a short while then acting as normal........got it VAG-COM'd and a massive list came up :shock: :shock: :shock: .........so got this cleared....this was end of February......a few days ago the ABS light came back on.......got it VAG-COM'd again thinking that there would be a massive list again.......only for it to show just a front wheel sensor was flagged up........anyway decided to get the ECU-controller connection cleaned up as there was some green-furring round the contacts......re-fitted it and it wouldn't talk to or reset the light in VAG-COM so luckily managed to source a 2nd-hand(from a v v reliable and genuine source) got it all checked out and no faults came up even after driving for a few minutes afterwards with the VAG-COM attached........however today the ABS light has been off and on......from constantly on when starting to going thru its usual check then coming on within 10 minutes.........so would i be right in thinking that this might just be a faulty wheel sensor being intermittent??????(not got access to VAG-COM till next week you see) or do they go completely????......any ideas anyone?????

You can get intermittent faults on the sensors, usually its down to them being dirty though rather than knackered.

You can get intermittent faults on the sensors, usually its down to them being dirty though rather than knackered.

would this also mean loss of ABS?.........cos when the light is on the car's braking is very errattic :shock: :shock: :shock:

I "think" when the abs records a fault then it should shut the system down, and not reactivate until the next time the car is started with no codes.

If the lights on your brakes should just feel like a car with no abs.

I don't know if this is relevant but wasn't water leakage into the cabin the subject of an official Corrado recall by VW some years back?

I've had this problem and is still on-going although it's not the wheel sensor. There has been a water leak onto the ABS connector and resulting Green fur. After cleaning it all up there was still no difference.

Strange thing is since I've had the car garaged the light has been off more than on, so I'm guessing things are drying out but it's still not cured the problem 100%. I've ordered the seals for the fan inlet duct to stop further leaks.

I have a feeling there has been permanent damage to the ABS controller.

would this also mean loss of ABS?.........cos when the light is on the car's braking is very errattic :shock: :shock: :shock:

When the light is on, the ABS system is completely disabled - as if its not there - so its more likely your braking which isn't used to a non-ABS car ;)

Hehe 8)

Unless you've warped a front hub or something which is flagging up the error and causing your braking to go mental....... sorry - worst case scenario there!

I bent both my front hubs - £900 repair at VW!!

(Done under warranty though - so was free to me ;))

Yep, check your recalls Rodders, there was an ABS one...

It probably is just a wheel sensor - have you pressure washed the car recently?? If not I would do but if its as bad as you say then the sensor probably will need changing, wait to see what comes up on VAGCOM

The only other thing I can think of is maybe the ABS relays also suffered some water damage as they are not far from the ECM...

thanks for all the input and advice/info guys..............turned out it was just needing a new sensor as the other one was well goosed.............now back to fully working ABS and no constantly annoying orange light on the dash when i'm driving

Rodders did you mannage to cure the water leak? Mine had 2 different water leak's on that side of the car and water was dripping onto the ABS controller,one of the leak's turned out to be due to the badly fitted A/C the intake for the heater box had been badly fitted,so now i've refitted it and all's well.Just need to sort that other leak out now but it's only very minor and i'm not quite sure where it's coming from.