jboyslick

R32 BACK AT LAST!

IN THE YEAR 2005!

Recently acquired vr6, completely standard. 98k, diavia air con fitted in 1997, leather electric recaros and leather trim. fsh 1 owner from new.

That was then; this is now MAY 2009:-

In the process of having a new R32 engine fitted with 1500 miles on the clock!

New Avon tyres with re furbed & dark grey powder coated speedlines.

New Infinity custon built exhaust

EBC Red stuff brake pads, new discs & 280mm calipers

Bilstein B12 suspension

New Helix clutch

BMC CDA air filter

Battery relocation to boot (not yet!)

New top mounts & bushes throughout

Eibach anti roll bars

TOAD Alarm & Bluetooth handsfree kit fitted

The car should be finished within the next 2-3 weeks so more pictures will be posted then.

Regards James

I always remember Victoria Wood's comment about Readers' Wives many years ago, viz.

"The thing that intrigues me whenever my boyfriend shows me Readers' Wives is how many ugly headboards there must be in this country." :D

IN THE YEAR 2005!

Recently acquired vr6, completely standard. 98k, diavia air con fitted in 1997, leather electric recaros and leather trim. fsh 1 owner from new.

That was then; this is now MAY 2009:-

In the process of having a new R32 engine fitted with 1500 miles on the clock!

New Avon tyres with re furbed & dark grey powder coated speedlines.

New Infinity custon built exhaust

EBC Red stuff brake pads, new discs & 280mm calipers

Bilstein B12 suspension

New Helix clutch

BMC CDA air filter

Battery relocation to boot

New top mounts & bushes throughout

Eibach anti roll bars

TOAD Alarm & Bluetooth handsfree kit fitted

The car should be finished within the next 2-3 weeks so more pictures will be posted then.

Regards James

Hi James,

I also have a R32 motor that I was going to put into my Golf Mk2 which currently has a 2L motor. My Corrado has a 2.9 VR6 motor. Now I have been thinking that the R32 would probably do much better in the Corrado.

Please let me know how yours turns out and what needs to change.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hi guys

I am away this week the car should be ready 1st week of june so I will post some pics up then.

I jibbed the build myself due to time constraints so have swict doing it for me or rather the vag doctor, u can find them on the web, they did pete griffs car as well.

I have a load of extras going into it and mark has promised to take loads of pictures for me so looking forward to getting it back now.

It will be at the bristol volksfest on the saturday if anyone wants to have a look over it.

Rgds james

Now finished at last!

Have a massive flat spot in 2nd and a few other niggles to sort out like the very brutal drive by wire accelerator pedal! however it goes like fook

Just got to work out how to stop a bit quicker the 280's just dont seem to drag it back down quickly or safely enough!

The powder coated wheels are actually darker than standard however look lighter in the pictures

Initial thoughts are very very quick, not very refined and hard to drive around town, but quality on the open roads.

Need to get the accelerator pedal re mapped, battery relocated into the boot & another fan put in the bay as it does get pretty hot! Aside from that i need a strut brace and will maybe have to buy some new tyres for bigger brakes if i dont start to stop a bit quicker!!

rgds James

Thats proppa sleepa no1 gunna expect that LOL :clap:

Look well put 2gether who did it n how much did the job cost????

It was done by SWICT in Bristol, install looks good and i have a few points as listed to go through.

It dod take 7 months when i was told 2! so aside from a neat looking install if you get them to do anything, make sure you tie them down on timescale.

Cost wise i had loads of stuff fitted as the car was completely standard so exactly how much difficult to say

Sweet! Glad you've finally got it back! There are always niggles to sort out, and I know what you mean about aggresive accel pedal, mines like it but I got used to it, but then again I've only got a measly 2.8 :(

Yeah you aint kidding Chris! Had the wheels balanced today and on both sides the drive shaft gators have split???? I am at a complete loss on that one? anyone have any ideas?

Hoping to get it back on the garage next week to get it sorted

sold urs yet?

Good stuff! :clap: Mine's in limp mode at the minute and still goes like fook :lol: You can tame down the throttle response in the mapping, mine's had it done apparently, wouldn't know though as it's still ridiculous. You are right about it not feeling very refined around town, mine's the same, very stop start but I think that's mainly down to not being used to the sharp throttle response! I'm getting used to it a bit more now.

Now dropped back to where the conversion was done for a throttle re map, removal of flat spots and countless other post conversion problems that have arisen such as a flat battery etc!!!

anyway, when i get it back i will hopewfully get it up to Stealth to see what is putting out and to see if Vince can do anything more with it!

rgds James

Waiting on something for the battery re location i am being told, afetr that its back on the road.

New tyres ordered as the old ones couldnt stand all that power going through them!

anyway as soon as i hear i will update and let everyone know.

strut brace bought, gotta get that fitted aswell

rgds James

That really does look the mutts nuts...

Did you get SWICT to do the complete job end to end? Did they source the components etc as well?

How much was it? May have to go this route...

The flat spot was a faulty air flow meter, however there is still a slight dip in power in 2nd so when i get it back i can explain a bit more.

Rob (Hersistes), is that the same with yours?

Its going on a rolling road / dyno next week so i will get an idea of bhp figures at that time.

I had the suspension, brakes, discs pads etc fitted elsewhere and the exhaust was a custom one from Infinity.

I also sourced the engine, got the wheels done and bought the tyres so all swict did was to take out the old and put in the new and do the rather tricky job of the wiring!!

Cost wise if i had my time again i would definately have more of a go doing it myself rather than just chucking money at it.

I would also think twice about the r32; i have a mk5 engine and they seem to be really tricky to get right.

When you put that much power into an old car the idea seems a good one, however in practice unless you get the set up spot on you have way too much power going through the wheels.

Note to self :- better tyres, better brakes, short shift gear box, 4wd.

without that lot i dont think you are doing the engine & setup justice, but hey thats just my opinion.

I am commited to this now so am just gonna have to keep on trying until i get the setup right. getting it on the rollers will give me an idea of where i am now with it.

Oh and by the way; i dont know if this strut brace will fit under the bonnet yet what with the size of the engine!

will keep you all posted

rgds James

Hmm that's interesting, mine didn't throw any errors for the MAF so don't think it's faulty. We noticed mine went flat when my inlet manifold switched which has led us to believe it could be something to do with that. We couldn't see any issues with the barrel. It's a weird one. I'm going back to Stealth soon to test with a new manifold to see if that cures the problem.

I have to say I am in the same mind set as you. I didn't spend as much as I did all the engine work etc myself, all I got done for me was the wiring but mine's also the MK5 and has had problems etc. That's not bothering me as problems can be sorted easily enough. My issues are with it not being suited for the car like you say, I think it needs the full setup to be appreciated. It's not very refined at all, which I think is down to the throttle response and the fact it's only using a single mass flywheel so it's jerky coming on and off part throttle through town. The R32 with the correct gearbox etc has the dual mass flywheel which I think takes that all away and gives it much smoother delivery. When going through the gears on an open smooth road it's spot on, nice and quick (could be quicker for me personally :lol:) and good delivery.