Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

VR engine rebuild

What sort of cost would i be looking at if i decided to get my VR engine fully rebuilt. Roughly prices for DIY and if i had this done from a garage.

Thanks

Dub style hi i got my vr6 head done by a friend whos been in the trade for years and everything cost me the best part of 1,300. only the head gasket asembly fron vw dealers is 500 plus vat!!!! only that!!!!! anyways i hope u get an idea ok.

philip.

Interested in a 2900cc ABV VR6?,

29000km(15000 miles) totally dismanteld

Engine,ecu,cat,d.pipe sub frame etc.

1200euros the lot,you won't be worrying

about tens.,chains,guides for a long time...

I was quoted about £450 for re-bore, crank polish and crack test, head and block skimmed.

Pistons & rings about £120 per cylinder

Full gasket set £200ish

Head bolts £20

Con rod bolts £90 (eek for 12 bolts :( )

Valves £20ish each

Chain sliders and tensioners £150 ish

Total cost will obviously depend on what actualy needs doing and how much of a perfectionist you are, but I hope this is of some use,

Trev,

Ps, Having your engine in hundreds of pieces realy makes you feel alive :lol:

Yea, It soon adds up! Not much if any change out of two grand :mad: You know it's right then though, good for another 100k,

Better the devil you know :evil:

I dont know where you guys got your prices from. I re-bult the head on my VR6 a few years back. The head gasket set cost around £80 from the dealers, but the head bolts were closer to £100. How can they be £20? There are 20 bolts all together on a VR6, that would make them £1 each!!

Well that is odd. I was charged (VW Dealer) £120 for a head set £80 for bottom end gasket set and only £21 for head bolts.

I agree and at the time was plesently suprised at the price, cos they aint small bolts either!

They got me back with the con rod bolts though, £90 for 12 small bolts!

They mabee just make it up as they go along??????

That comes to around 1750.........might even be able to pick up a low mileage 4 motion engine for 2k

Don't pay that for a 2.8. I was offered an R32 engine (audi 250 brake version) for £1800, so shop around. 4 motion lumps are worth about £1K tops.

I think going 24V would be better value than rebuilding the now ancient 12V.

kevhaywire, either way r32 or 2.8 24v would you need the engine only or all other bits too........also the vr6 gearbox fit the 24v engines..............£1800 for r32 engine kev you should of snatched it off him

Dug out me receipts last night, and parts bought for my head rebuild were as follows:-

Ultrasonic cleaning of injectors - £105

New set of Samco coolant hoses (Group buy) - £185

Thermostat housing and o-rings - £35

Crankcase breather diaphram (from Ford) - £20

The following prices were from VW, but don't include VAT

Head Gasket set - £75

12 Hydraulic Tappets - £15.75 each

3 types of Head bolts:-

7x£2.52

10x£2.84

3x£4.20

I also de-coked the valves, and cleaned all the valve seats with the old paste and grinding stick.

Did the work myself, with the aid of a VR6 engine manual for torque settings, etc. Fairly straight forward job if you're mechanically minded, but a bit time consuming.

Afraid i've got no idea on costs for the bottom end....

HTH

Steve

I agree and at the time was plesently suprised at the price, cos they aint small bolts either!

They got me back with the con rod bolts though, £90 for 12 small bolts!

Thats cos the head bolts are pretty much standard material - all they have to do it provide enough clamping force, which from a large bolt with a fine thread is relatively easy. The actual tensile strenght of the bolt itself isn't that important. The big end bolts on the other hand are subjected to enormous forces and have to deccelerate a few hundred grams of piston and rod at the top of the exhaust stroke which requires a very high tensile bolts. Hence the price. You think £90 for a set of 12 is bad, the list price for 8 ARP bolts for the cossie is over £100

kevhaywire, either way r32 or 2.8 24v would you need the engine only or all other bits too........also the vr6 gearbox fit the 24v engines..............£1800 for r32 engine kev you should of snatched it off him

The VR6 box mates up to the 4Motion and R32 Engines OK.

For ease of installation and smooth running, you would need the engine harness, ECU, transponder and ignition keys from the donor car.

Yeah I was very interested in that R32 lump but I didn't have the funds at the time and I've invested too much into my 12V to get rid of it just yet.