Sign in to follow this  
MNuTz

Resetting the ECU G60

Lo all,

When i originally test drove the G60 it had average MPG of 34-38, after i bought the battery died on me so i charged it up and put it back into car.

Couple of weeks later i had to take it for its MOT, average MPG had dropped to 15 with an emissions rating of 9%!! Mechanic suggested scrapping car as it'd cost far too much to sort all the problems out, the look on his face when i said "thats what owning a corrado is all about"!! :)

Anyway, spoke to another mechanic and said about emissions, his nova had a 7% rating but he fixed it by replacing the ECU.

Im gonna reset mine to see if thats the problem, thing is i havent got a vag com yet. Can i just reset it without having to do the basic settings afterwards as described in the knowlege base?

I believe that your problem is the Lambda Probe (dead). :wink:

Disconnecting the G60 battery won´t change anything...

You should check all the Lambda harness to the ECU and clean the connectors.

If it doesn´t work, get a new probe!

Oh... And Vag-Com won´t be a help for you, as it only comunicates with the ABS unit on all G60´s. 8)

To reset a Digifant I ecu, start the engine and let it idle for a couple of mins to come up to temp, then disconnect the blue coolant temp sensor and rev the engine three times past 3000rpm. Re-connect the sensor and rev past 3000rpm another three times. Job done, IIRC!

vr6storm, I always thought the same as you Roddy - G60 ECU has no memory, it has no reset proceedure.

Chances are that something has "fried" while re-connecting the battery.

Scrap the car because of bad emissions? Sheesh.. remind me to avoid THAT garage!

I thought you just unplugged the battery for 6 seconds to reset.
AFAIK the ECU has no memory at all & the proceedure described above by gradeAfailure is for disabling/re-enabling the ECU auto timing correction feature - necessary when setting the engine timing.

No the G60 ECU does not have learning capability so there is no value in resetting it. Only the VR6 needs a reset when certain sensors are replaced and in fact the VR is the only one that communicates with VAG-COM. You can get the G60 ECU to talk to VAG-COM with a special hybrid protocol but the information may not reveal much.

But you can use VAG-COM with it to see what sensors are down.

Does this mean I can interrogate my engine (2.0 8V - 2E code) with VAG-COM to check the state of the sensors then, as it has a Digi 1 ecu like the G60s...?

To be honest I don't know the full details. When I tried to communicate with a G60 using my VAG-COM, it didn't want to know. I looked on ross tech's site and they mentioned that the G60 ECU uses a special hybrid protocol that is unique to VW and takes a bit of work to get around.

There are no available adjustments or measuring blocks for the G60 ECU anyway, so there's not much you can do even if you can interogate it.....just get a report of the static settings at the most. With the VR you can do all manner of things as it's a fully managed engine.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Rule of using VAG-COM on 1989 - 1995 cars is quite simple.

If it is a 16 pin diagnostics socket or the two - two pin sockets (black/white) which have a total of 4 wires attached, then the car is digitally linked and VAG-COM interfaces will work but in some cases the laptop comms port can make things flakey and "choke" the ECU into a hang-up. Clear with ignition on - off - on and choose a slower comms speed. The 2 ltr - 16v "8A0..." ECU's are the worst for this.

If the two diagnostics sockets (Black/White) have either 1, 2 or 3 wires only attached, then the car is analogue and VAG-COM cannot interface with them. These cars use "blink" codes (grouped voltage pulses) in a primative way to throw out the faults out, one at a time.

G60 with PG engine - limited analogue diagnostics on early cars, no ECU reset as such just down to tuning the CO and timing. G60 post August 92 1992 chassis - limited digital diagnostics, no ECU reset, just tuning CO and timing. (ie. just right at the end of production a few G60's went digital, ie. the last 10 months of Corrado G60 production (1993 model), chassis numbers 50PK000001 - 010000 with engine numbers PG089596 - 090169)

2E, digital diagnostics, ECU reset is battery off and reconnect after 2 minutes followed by a drive with the engine already fully warm of 10 minutes without the car left idling beforehand. During the first 10 minutes, at least once put the car into 4th gear at 30mph and press & hold the throttle at about midway for about 4 seconds minimum, otherwise just drive the car normally until the 10 minutes from ignition on after the battery disconnection at which point the ECU learning mode will lock out. That's the first part done, now....

The ECU needs to be harmonised using VAG-COM in Basic Settings mode by selecting basic settings, keying 001, pressing the throttle while stationary in neutral to 2,500rpm for 3 seconds. Allow to idle for 1 further minute and then check display field 4 is showing all 0's. Check the CO is below 0.5%. 2E ECU is now set up.

Bottom line, all digital diagnostic Corrados are a pain to interrogate unless they have a VR6 engine fitted. Too many ECUs manufacturer's subcintracted by VAG and lots of comms protcol variances. Best to test with a borrowed VAG-COM to see what you get unless you're seeking a broader use of the product.

G60 original question, yes probably fried something.

Also the G60's with the 4 cables near the gearstick should also be able to transmit blink fault codes to a 12v LED test lamp...

I havn't managed to successfully test this yet as I have an SNS chip and this does not store the codes but from what i've read, on the left hand plug I have a yellow and a grey wire, one is for rapid data transfer (ie VAG.COM) and the other for blink codes...

..... I have a custom G60 ECU that fried one side once, a custom memory piece was put into the ECU so I have the ability to reset it.... I suggest doing this because it will just take the information from the first 10 miles of driving. very effective when u want to go drag racing.