Sign in to follow this  
kasman21

changing radiator

hey all

Getting my new radiator today and I am going to change it. Does anyone have a step by step guide to removing and refitting of the radiator.

The car is rado 1.8 16v.

thanks all!!!

zak

Diss the batt & remove (gives you a bit more room). Unplug the wiring to the rad fan motor and the temp sensor in (lower) side of rad. Remove the four 10mm bolts holding the fan surround to the rad and remove it complete with fan motor. Undo the top and bottom hoses (be prepared to get wet). Undo the two 10mm bolts holding the rad mounting brackets on the top of the slam panel. These brackets pull out vertically, may need some help as they get a bit stuck after a while. The rad will then be loose and you can remove it by tilting the top towards the engine and then lifting out between the engine and slam panel. It's lower mountings are pegs which sit in holes (with rubber washers) in the cross panel. Reverse procedure to fit new one. Refill coolant by pouring into the top hose NOT the header tank. Once near full connect the hose, run her up and check heater works ok then finally top her up at the header tank.

Yep, spot on - that's pretty much what I did. The only thing I'll add to that is cover the upside down "L" shaped in copper grease or something, reason being they corrode and can rust through the rad giving you a water leak from the top. Learnt from 16VG60 and experience on that one!