Sign in to follow this  
20v turbo

deleting roof trims

If you are doing this the best thing to use is lead over a steel strip, not filler. It's more flexible.

That's ok if you can a find someone willing to weld it in the first place, most places didn't want to touch it, and then lead it too. H&S seems to have put people off lead and there's a skill shortage problem as well i guess?

Yeah you're totally right, but it's almost easier to use than filler, but the price is a little higher... A good quality bodyshop is very hard to find, many places you go to don't have the skill base to do anything but unbolt panels, fill them, and spray. It's a shame but the way of the world. The skilled metal working places do really well though and have long waiting lists.....

I think the use of lead is more common in classic car restoration when you've got lots of flowing panels joining one another. My old man's '62 Alfa had its panel all leaded and the garage had to get some old fella in to do it

The pics with the deleted roof trims look fantastic in my opinion. Very tempted to get this done when i get round to getting mine painted. I know some people dont like discussing costs involved, but would anyone give a rough idea of what they paid to have this done. I do realise every bodyshop would be different cost wise anyway, but its just to get an idea?

hmmm has any body else got any more pics of this mod... my car i in the shop now and i have been thining about it .....

im just notsure i like the idea but i just dont know............

i deleted roof rails off of one of my earlier cars and all it bloody did when it rained was when i opened the door to get out i got wet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

does this still happen???