W3RKD

G60 owners ...please read this.

ARP bolt kit 207-2501, 190,000 psi vs the stock corrado 145,000 psi

good for a 30% increase in strength of the bolt

yes its meant for a mitsu, yes its the same thread and pitch

Having decided to do this bolt over the weekend, I'll share with you the problems I've had.

After having a lot of trouble preventing the engine from turning, using the brakes, I resorted to preventing the flywheel turning, using a bar through the timing cover. Eventually the bolt shifted and out it came. It was at this point that I realized the 22mm socket, required for the new non stretch bolt, would not fit into the recessed pulley hole. I was therefore stuck and had to replace the old bolt to hold the pulley on whilst I located a suitable socket. What Is required, is a thin walled 22mm socket to fit the new DX bolt. something that Halfords do not sell.

Make sure your socket for the new bolt will fit inside the pulley, before removing the old bolt!

should have gotten an ARP bolt kit... only requires a 19mm socket.....

It may well do, but at £33 for the ARP bolt kit, I could have bought a whole socket set with the spare cash left from the DX bolt. :lol:

You won't get a decent socket to fit in between the outer pulleys. You need to take them off. Sorry dude!

Tried ordering the bolt and washer from VW a couple of weeks back as the car is going into the garage on Thursday this week. Got the bolt but they can't get hold of the washer - it's on factory back order apparently.

I assume I need the washer or the new bolt is useless? What a pain. Anywhere else I can get hold of this washer?

wait a minute.... washer?

I never had a washer on my bolt..... either of the 2 bolts that I had... my ARP has a washer... but my VW does not

Apparently it's not so much of a washer as a packer - it's about 8mm thick and makes up for the fact that the DX bolt doesn't have a shoulder and the original stretch bolt does (you can see it in Darren's pic at the top of the thread).

Just spoke to Darren actually and he says they're not using the DX bolt any more, they've moved on to the PG bolts (?) which are better designed.

Bugger and I just put the DX bolt in. Oh well, it should be good. And a hell of a lot safer than the original item.

Can't VW locate you a washer at another branch on their parts system? They found me 1 pretty easy. Top job from the boys at Cheltenham VW.

What's this PG bolt all about then?

They said the nearest washer was in their Bolton dealership and they couldn't get it to me by Thursday :(

Ringing Darren back in the morning so I'll see if he's got the part # of the PG bolt and see if I can order one of those from VW in time... Bum!

i know i'm just a noob here but i have found a place locally that has a large selection of nuts bolts,and the like, and they will ship,just have to have the size pitch length etc. bought a starter bolt for my rado after changing the clutch it somehow disapeared :shock: only cost me 1.83 u.s. and it was hex head and works perfect!!!!! here goes you :can call or e-mail them with specs and sizes they were more than helpful when i got there!:

fastening products of lancaster,inc.

1980 old philadelphia pike

lancaster pa 17602-3498

phone: 717-299-5771

[email protected]

Just to update UK C owners - you can order the new PG bolt from your dealers now - it's exactly the same bolt but apparently made better (according to Darren they've gone back to using this bolt again and don't use the DX bolt anymore). Costs about £2.50. :)

Well why are we all fitting DX bolts when the original is better? Or do VW now supply a different bolt under the same code???? PG is the one that breaks isn't it?? I'm confused!

its the one in the centre of the lower pulley which has the belts wrapped around it,has four bolts around it! :salute:

how do i know if mine has been done, and if not done where do i get the new bolt. And how hard is it to do, do i need any special tools or know how.

ok, so this says "g60 owners read this," so i did. But by then end, i got all confused, cuz supposedly i need to replace my PG block G60's crank bolt with a PG motors crank bolt?? :scratch:

what???

now i know the corrado wasn't the only g60, so are there other engine codes associated with a g60? I noticed it originally suggested to change it out with a DX engine's bolt. what's a DX engine? And when should i replace this crank bolt? specific mileage?

ok, so this says "g60 owners read this," so i did. But by then end, i got all confused, cuz supposedly i need to replace my PG block G60's crank bolt with a PG motors crank bolt?? :scratch:

what???

now i know the corrado wasn't the only g60, so are there other engine codes associated with a g60? I noticed it originally suggested to change it out with a DX engine's bolt. what's a DX engine? And when should i replace this crank bolt? specific mileage?

If the bolt hasnt been changed to your knowlege it should be changed anyway regardless of age or mileage as quite a few have just sheared without warning.

At first people started using the DX crank bolt and washer from the MK1 golf, as this was supposedly stronger and less likely to snap.

However it now seems like the replacement PG crank bolts have been uprated by vw so its just a straight swap.

Thanks for bumping this thread - mine's getting serviced and MOT'd today so I've asked my mechanic to change mine to be on the safe side.