Sign in to follow this  
Walesy

removing mouldings...

Never done this before, but i hear heating the mouldings up first loosens the adhesive allowing an easier removal. No idea on what you'll find underneath.

You basically need to use a heat gun to warm the adhesive makes it peel off a little easier. Then use HOT soapy water to rub off the rest of the adhesive thats left.

You basically need to use a heat gun to warm the adhesive makes it peel off a little easier. Then use HOT soapy water to rub off the rest of the adhesive thats left.

White spirit is faster then T-Cut.

It'll take longer to heat it up with a hair dryer but if it's a decent one then should be alright. Heat gun would be better!

cheers mate!.....

a heat gun would be better but unfortunatly my mrs doesnt use one of those every morning so the hair dryer it is! :)

is meths ok??? or turps??? ive got both of those in the garage...but no f*&^%ing whitespirit!!

It's not that hard, i used a bodyfiller spreader with your fingers each side and a bit of pressure pushing and it just comes off and didn't bent the strip at all, the car is now Chrishill's silver VR6 and resprayed but not fitted the strips back on.

Chris

Use Autoglym Tar and Glue remover mate. It works a treat, it's still hard work getting it off but it comes off eventually :)

I took the side mouldings off my last Aqua Blue Pearl G60 and it took alot of paint off - I was having the side painted anyway but it put me off removing them on the rado's i've had since. Hopefully your low mileage Rado will be ok! :)

Cheers Walesy.

I took em off my last wagon, on its way into the paint shop, using lighter fluid. Works a treat but also brings the paint straight off. I did by a pikey version of tar spot remover but I think its just toilet water cos it does nowt!!

Ill be off to Halfords then..........hi ho, hi ho :geek: :D

I literally used a hair-drier, wd40, a rag and elbow grease. Took a couple hours, but i think it looks all the better for it.

*edit - ooo..and i didnt take ANY paint off*

It takes alot of elbow grease regardless of what you use :lol:

I didn't take any paint off when I was getting rid of the glue - the paint came off when I took the strip itself off :?

( And happy birthday shaggsy

my rear quarter panel has been resprayed at some point (post me owning him) and I tried to remove the rear one as it was smaller, so I figured if I fudged it up then it was easier to conceal.

I think whoever replaced them after the respray has used some nasty glue (kinda like a foam pad double sided with glue), I can't shift it, I spent an hour with hot water, white spirit, clothes etc etc and still haven't removed the glue.

There was a thread on here a couple of weeks ago about removing them and someone said Body Shops use a 'toffee wheel' to remove that sort of thing.

mine needs sorting as it looks a state with that glue on it.

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42777

and

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... c&start=15

when i took mine off, i was left with that horrible glue, just used some of the girlfreinds nail varnish remover, came off very easy. one side took about 15mins to get clean.

Dont use boiling water. If you use a heat gun dont concentrate on small areas as you'll burn the paint. Dont use T-cut as it will rub through the paint on the edge og the bodywork (I did this on my mk2 golf :S)

A hair dryer and some really hot soapy water should be ok.

Autoglym tar and glue remover is pants. Never had any sort of good results with it... come to think of it never really had ANY sort of results...

I've taken the strips off a mk3 polo and just used my thumbnail to scrape any major big chunks of sticky foam off.. Not overly keen on using wd40 but it does the trick..

As said above, any technique/product is going to require some good old elbow grease!

Good luck, but dont end up having to have it resprayed...

Autoglym tar and glue remover is pants. Never had any sort of good results with it... come to think of it never really had ANY sort of results...

I find it works really well if you let it soak into the glue/schitty stuff - never tried it with tar tho :lol:

I also find their Bumper Gel is great aswell

I know this isnt a thread about Autoglym, but I've really gone off all of their stuff. I used to use it all the time, but started to find that hlafords own brand stuff was better...

As for bumper gel, I used to use Turtle wax tyre gel. My Polo bumpers looked fantastic with it on... and the amount of times that I got asked what I used on them at shows means that it wasnt only me that thought it too!! :)

Saying that, I now use maguiars. Not much difference in price to Autoglym but the products are a lot easier to use and the results are 10x better than AG...

I have used the AG tar and glue remover on both tar and glue and was very unimpressed. I think I binned it.

I find it works really well if you let it soak into the glue/schitty stuff - never tried it with tar tho :lol:

I also find their Bumper Gel is great aswell

Worked a treat for me. Like you said tho Walsey you need plenty of elbow grease on tap. Plus if you grab a friend its easier & maybe, like mine did, they will bring beer. Job done - sweeet!!

:D :D :D :D :D