Sign in to follow this  
JoeNose

VR6 Engine - Precautions?

Hi all

Just about to buy a 95 VR6 from Autotek near Guildford - 71000miles, 1 owner last 4 years but partial service history only (none recent as the last guy was allegedly an engineer and serviced it himself). The car looks in extremely good condition however, the bodywork and interior are excellent, and she drives very well. The garage said they will service it before they sell.

I have no experience with this engine - my last car was a 16v C. Are there any precautionary maintainace tasks I should have done on the engine when I become the owner?

Cheers

Joe

well as autotek will be servicing it prior to you buying it,the oil should be nice and light brown looking and up to the level too

as for things to maybe do......it might be worth asking if autotek will change the fuel filter and also see if they're willing to do a coolant change........but make sure that they use the VW coolant G12+ as this can be mixed with both VW's "old"G11 and G12 coolants whereas before if you mixed G11 and G12 it would form a gel and block the passageways

i've had a fuel filter change and a coolant change done by a VW-dealer and its cost me £20 & £35 respectively(inc parts/labour/sundries)so autotek should be cheaper

also might an idea to get them to change the spark plugs at the same time......whatever you do though.....DON'T pay what VW charge for VR6 spark plugs......they can charge up to £20ea!!!!!! :shock: :roll: ........NGK's are OE/M and are easily obtainable from halfords for a fair bit less approx £5ea or under........NGK's also seem to be able to cope with the heat that the VR6 generates better than any others

My plugs were £3.50 each from VW and I bought them today! My car is A 93 VR6! POlus with teh 10 percent discount from VW if your a corrado club member of Great Britain its even less.

JoeNose, make sure you check the head gasket, mine is being done as we speak! Just check that she doesnt leak oil from anywhere. Check the engine mounts and clutch by putting the hand brake on and lifting the clutch and listen for any noise from the clutch and get one of your mates to see if there is excess engine movement.

Other than that, make sure you check the brakes and the coil pack and door handles and sunroof, make sure you try both tilt and slide a few times. Trust me you want a C with a working sunroof.

Get him to check the wheel bearings too, always remember, these people just want your money so make sure you get from them what you need and that is a sound car and if your not sure and your fefinitely buying it, make sure its in tip top condition or haggle them down. I know his cars are very expensive, they all look like great cars so you should be getting a mint car but better to be safe than sorry!!

All the best and nice choice of engine!! :D

My plugs were £3.50 each from VW and I bought them today! My car is A 93 VR6! POlus with teh 10 percent discount from VW if your a corrado club member of Great Britain its even less.

yeah.......but rams some unscruplous dealers will still try and charge you £20ea.........and insist that you need the platinum tipped ones too

Ahhhh

My car is a 93, I forgot the later models use the Plantinium plugs which arn't recommended for my 93 VR6. Which is a result!

Platinum plugs arent required unless your a lazy git with servicing *:)

Autotek come recommened from several people who have bought cars there including my mate who bought his Corrado Storm from there two years ago and still has it 8)

Thanks for all your replies. To be honest the guy who runs the shop was able to give me a great deal of 'enthusiast-type' info - I'm not a complete Corrado virgin as I have owned a 16valver in the past so know some of the failings the cars are prone to.

Checking some back issues of 'Sprinter,' Autotek have quite a few ads in there which was a pleasant surprise. Did manage to make an arse of myself when I asked if the cambelt had been changed at 60k :)

I'll let you know how me and the VR get along.

Joe

I also bought a VR6 Storm from Autotek last September, I did pay a lot for it but its been sweet. It is pristine with aircon, tracker,closure and 10 stack cd. I got 3 months warenty chucked in and a new set of solitudes as it had non standard wheels when I veiwed it. I had a small problem with the aircon after a couple of months and they sorted it out straight away with no probs.

Cheers Dave.