Sign in to follow this  
KADVR6

please dont take the p**s

before anybody says it im not the most mechanicaly minded bloke, but i cant find the oil filter, :? my dad cant find it either, and my brother cant find it. so will someone put us out of our misery and tell us where it is???

sorry for being so bloody stupid :?

Lie underneath the car.

Large black cylinder and needs (I think) a 36mm nut to undo.

Filter's in there :)

cheers andi, is that the cylinder you can see looking down into the engine bay, that is on the right hand side of the alternator?? :?

cheers andi, is that the cylinder you can see looking down into the engine bay, that is on the right hand side of the alternator?? :?

Thats the one

yet agin many thanks guys, but why do vw make things difficult? why cant you just see the filter like in most other cars, :oops:

How about this for service... ;)

In the pic - middle-bottom - the new looking black cylinder (replaced mine a couple of weeks ago).

Use the large 32/36/38mm socket (can't remember which!) to undo, and filter is inside :)

And yes, I did just go outside to take this photo for you 8)

Dammit - beaten to it ;)

yet agin many thanks guys, but why do vw make things difficult? why cant you just see the filter like in most other cars, :oops:

'Cos that looks crappy? :)

many thanks andi and ben for the photos, but you really did not have to go outside and take them for me, but i really do appreciate it, god you lot are so helpfull, :D

Drain the filter housing

first by un-doing the allen key'd

metal nut located in the center of

the black plastic filter housing,

this avoids oil spillin out the moment

you remove the canister,the metal nut

is usually quite tight.Also check it's small

rubber 'o'ring.

So tight that mine would not come undone! Some gorilla must have tightened it up last time it was done!

Now you see, on a proper car you could have driven a real screwdriver through it then used a birmingham one to finish the job

Scruffythefirst, ah, so you also follow the brute force and destruction school of oil filter removal... 8) :lol:

LOL, that was the usual method of doing it on my MK2 Golfs.....despite being done up hand tight!

I like BMWs for oil changes....the filter is accessible from the engine bay and it doesn't spill everywhere either. 2 min job!

So tight that mine would not come undone! Some gorilla must have tightened it up last time it was done!

Yeah, mine too. Changed it at the weekend, took about half an hour just to get filter off. Tried the screwdriver technique but because the filter is in such a supid place it didn't work too well.