Sign in to follow this  
merkaba22

brakes on my '93 VR6

Hi!

My '93 Corrado is my first car with ABS -- lately I notice that the brakes are a little softer than I am used to and I can feel under hard breaking a bit of a pulsing or steping through the break pedal -- I thinkthis is the ABS.

The pads and disks are OK right now but I am sure I will need to replace them all sometime this year (I would like recomendations on the largest I can fit with my Speedlines) -- but any advice and perspective on this would be greatly appreciated.

Man, do I love this car:)

Yep, That sounds like the ABS, cars with ABS in general don't feel quite as good as ones without but obviously you still have a big advantage with having it...

If your fluid hasn't been changed in the last year it may be worth doing and maybe fitting braided hoses for a more positive feel.

288mm discs are the biggest you can fit under the Speedo's but you will also need the calipers etc too (off a late mk3 or mk4 Golf) - altho the discs are only 8mm bigger in diameter than standard, the pad area is about 50% larger so they make a worthwile upgrade!

I'm keen to do this upgrade. Am I correct to assume that I need calipers, caliper carriers and discs? (Actually I would buy new discs so that is slightly irrelevant.......)

Is it only Mk3/4 GTi and VR6 Golfs which are suitable donors, or are some Passats useful as well ?

Best wishes

RB

get the fluid changed, and the pedal feel should return.

vr6 brakes are awesome in standard form. unless you are regularly doing emergency stops from 100+ just run what ya brung!

Yeah the hoses are different. 288 calipers have Banjo joint inlets, whereas Corrado uses the old threaded olive method. The hose you need is Banjo to olive. You can get them from the donor car or use Goodridge ones for a firmer pedal.

Thanks for the advice:)

I guess it would be more cost effective to get the calipers used -- how can I tell the good from the worn?

Good idea on the brake fluid replacement -- Ithink it may 3-6 months until I do the whole job -- is it worth it to replace at this time?

fresh fluid will always make a difference. There is a driver's edition setup for sale in the vwvortex.com corrado classifieds.

vdubjb -- where did you see that post?

I did a search at vwvortex under "driver's edition" as well as "brakes" and went through the Corrado classifieds twice and could not find that post? Do you have that exact url in your browser's histroy, perhaps:)

btw: could I get the ss braided hoses with the brake fluid replacement now and still be able to use them for the 288's I look forward to getting later this year?

Also, I just checked the service records (when I bought the car -- one owner -- I got the service records and saw the brake lines were flushed about 15k miles ago .... Is this normal time to flush again?

I installed Brembos on the front and Hawk pads all around and they are great:)

1) Since then sometimes when I brake at a medium pressure, the right brake seems to groan as if I hadn't replaced the pads at all.

2) The other thing is that when I do brake hard (and there is no groaning) the ABS light goes on temporarily sometimes (and more rarely, the CEL goes on too) for the short duration of the braking.

Any clues?

I saw some low mileage axles on eBay with ABS sensors and wonder if this is a good choice -- also, I in view of the fact that I need new fornt wheel bearings....