Sign in to follow this  
olly elworthy

what size oil cooler?

car is my corrado g60, running 68mm pulley and sns chip, stock intercooler and rad,

going to install an oil cooler before nurburgring as seen a few scary oil temps when driving hard,

going for a mocal one and was thinking of the 235mm X 10 row one, will this be sufficient? or am i better off paying a little extra and going for a 13 row one? :?: thanks in advance,,,,,,, :D

I've got a 13row on the engine I built for J-DUB and it's well upto the job... remember that the take off plate has a thermostat in it (if you're buying a decent kit anyway!) so you can't really go too big with the oil cooler as it can't overcool your oil due to the thermostat... ;)

excellent, thanks, also are you running the oil to water cooler aswell or have you deleted that one, IMO its a good idea as helps the engine oil to warm up quickly, any views on this?

I deleted the heat exchanger as I've had bad experiences with them in the past... I can understand the theory that it helps the engine warm up, but with the engine I built, warming up quickly wasn't the problem... ;)

You'll also find it becomes VERY tight for space if you use both the oil cooler takeoff plate AND the heat exchanger... you may have problems getting an oil filter in there, and getting one out again becomes a reeeeaaaalllllyyyy interesting job... :|

thanks, may think of deleting it then, had one fail in a mk2 once, filled up my headertank with oil, not nice!!

on a sideline,,,,, when i was replacing the metal waterpipe around the block on my car the other day (pain of a job on a g60 compared to a normal gti motor) i had to take out the drivers side headlight to get in there, also had to take out the oil filter to facilitate the installation of the new pipe and found out that it is a hell of allot easier to change the oil filter by going in through the headlight and drawing it out through there rather than fiddling it out from underneath the car, for the sake of three screws to remove the headlight it makes the oil filter change a hell of allot easier on a g60 :wink:

if you use both the oil cooler sandwige plate and the oil heat exachanger use a 1.8T oli filter, its shorter and will just fit

if you use both the oil cooler sandwige plate and the oil heat exachanger use a 1.8T oli filter, its shorter and will just fit

cheers thats a good idea, i trust the 1.8T filter is up to the job for the supercharger,,

mmm, not sure I like the idea of using a smaller oil filter... especially on an engine I've just rebuilt at rather a heavy cost... :|

maybe the g60 one will go on if i cut off the nut on the bottom thats used to install it and take it off as i use a snap on metal strap wrench for that anyway,,,

the 1.8t is a different type of filter, its like the vr6, smaller but fatter too

You can quite safely use a G40 oil filter if you do not delete the original exchanger. The valve system inside is exactly the same spec, the only difference is slightly smaller capacity.

but the water to oil cooler is virtually useless. We're guys who are gonna be fiddling about with our cars for a while yet, so why leave it in as its crap at cooling oil and as henny says the mocal plate has a thermo so no probs warming the oil. just remove it and that one less thing to go wrong!! mines going in this weekend and the std one is going straight in the bin :D