Sign in to follow this  
Pickard1

G60 mpg figures

I noticed last week my G60 was costing more than normal at the pumps. Have just done a bit of an experiment and put in exactly 45 litres of petrol (thats ten gallons i think?!) and I got 164 miles out of it. 16.4MPG approx? (someone please tell me if im wrong!)

The trip computer is hovering around the same as normal (28-32MPG) How accurite is the trip computer? does it work off the actual fuel burnt?

Something that seems to have coincided with this is that the engine is occasionaly a bit groggy when cruising. The best way I can describe it is like an old car with a manual choke if you leave it out when warm it sometimes kind of glugs and judders a bit and then goes back to normal. The car had been off the road for a couple of weeks so I had put this down to maybe a bit of damp in the electrics but it is still doing it a couple of weeks on.

Any ideas? Do I have a leak (cant see/smell one) or is there some kind of misfireing going on thats burning fuel but not being spotted by the MFA?

Cheers

I never get less than 28mpg out of mine, MFA already seems to ready about 3mpg than I'm actually getting

the MFA works off the Vacuum produced by the engine so is only a guide to what sort of MPG you should be getting....

If she's that thirsty, then I'd guess that your Lambda sensor (or it's wiring) is dead...

If you look down the back of the engine you'll see a multiplug on the rear engine mount. Disconnect this and see if it makes any difference to the running of the engine (Be carefull! the exhaust manifold is down there and is HOT!) If there's no difference, it's new Lambda sensor time...

If you calculate your MPG according to your avatar i am not surprised, i suggest starting your engine for real figures and not pushing the bugger ;)

Not got round to fitting my new lambda sensor yet but have found not having one of the rear brakes binding does tend to help fuel consumption

Thanks for that advice Henny. To clarify to everyone else the G60 had been doing 28-32 on actual consumption and MFA figs for the last 2 years. Much better than my 2L 16V I had the misfortune to own before!

As soon as you mentioned the lambda sensor was at the back of the engine alarm bells started to ring. As you might remember I has been on the forum last week to get the part number for the master cylinder that my rather incompetent local MOT station were trying to fit......sure enough, looked down the back of the block and a couple of the wires had been ripped out the back of the sensor. No doubt by some hamfisted tvvat at the garage. Id have loved to go back there, but im up in manchester and it'd have cost me more in petrol than the repair, with its current consumption....grrr

Under any circumstances, no one go to county vehcle services in Houghton, Leicestershire.

Anyway, it appears to be fixed. Thanks again