Sign in to follow this  
A5 VRX

weitec or koni?

I have the Weitec GT kit with the comfort pack on my 1.8 16v, the kit is good until you start driving harder. A friend of mine has the konis with Vogtland springs on his 2.0 and it seems to corner alot flatter and faster althogh the ride is firm. Should i stick with the Weitec or go with Koni's?

I had the Koni's with Vogtland springs and found them too hard. Changed to H&R springs yesterday as it happens, with much better results.

Go with Koni + H&R but you can't buy them as a kit in the same box, they are seperate items. I've not tried Weitec tho.

cheers mate, the weitec kit is really comfortable and doesn't ride to hard but would rather sacrifice that for really good cornering!

Don't just take my word for it tho. I don't know how well the weitec corners/handles against the Koni/H&R's.

Anyone else care to comment?

i've not fully decided yet, just drove down to inters and back today and the suspension was really great, even 4 up in the car it handled well so might have to see what other people think as well!

Drove a G60 with Weitec yeasterday, very impressed and it also had poly bushes all round, no where near as stiff as I thought it would be!

maybe thats what i should be thinking of next, poly bushes all round and a strut brace just to keep things in check! does anybody know of a 'good' strut brace if there is such a thing? Or are they all the same in price and performance?

I wouldnt even wear a Weitec tshirt after my current experience. The springs are too bouncey and they allow the front end of the car to crash and porpoise over any significant bumps. I am tearing the springs out and putting Neuspeeds in after 2 years of pain and destroyed suspension components.

I wouldnt even wear a Weitec tshirt after my current experience. The springs are too bouncey and they allow the front end of the car to crash and porpoise over any significant bumps. I am tearing the springs out and putting Neuspeeds in after 2 years of pain and destroyed suspension components.

Dude, if the front end is out of control it's because the shocks are not up to the job. Are they part of a Weitec Kit?

I have had several kits and think they are top gear. In fact I just removed some Eibach springs from my mk3 16V. My fault that the shocks were inadequate and not stiffly enough damped.

Check the shocks

Gavin

Indeed, the shocks came w/ the springs. The springs bottom out. They are supposed to be 40mm, but the quality control is so horrid, they are moe like 60mm. They are not stiff enough.

Drove a G60 with Weitec yeasterday, very impressed and it also had poly bushes all round, no where near as stiff as I thought it would be!

Where did you drive it though? On some bumpy B roads or round the smooth inters tarmac?