Sign in to follow this  
godskitchen

new pads and disks for VR (front only)

Any one know how much this would be fitted?

Am i better off going to GSF to get the parts and getting someone to fit them? been on GSF site and cant make head nor tail of what i need!

The breaks are metal on metal at the mo and it is undrivable and frightening!

Cheers!

VAG disks - £50 (thats the price if you get discount)

Pagid FR Pads - £35 (from GSF)

£100 inc vat for the parts then 1 hour labour so maybe £150 total.

I've just had non VW disks & pads done. disks £56.80+vat pads £25.50+vat.

Don't know how much of the 6 hours labour was for doing them as I had A LOT done.....

Nice one Supercharged, how easy is it to get discount (blood from a stone?) from VAG?? Do GSF not do them?? or am i being really stupidly thick here and not understanding??

Plus what are the key indicators to let me know if the disks are no good? i have had a good look and they dont look too bad, but then i dont really knpow how they should look, the only thing i dont want to do is go to a garage and for them to tell me i need stuff i dont!

a good friend of mine runs a garage with his dad and does all my work like this, but he is on holiday for 3 weeks!! need to get it done now though!

If yours are original and the cars done over 80k's then change em!

Look for scoring on the disk, flat spots (warpage) and thickness (can't remember off hand the tollerances) - If your pads are completly down to the metal and you've been driving around then you've probably knackered them anyway, get new ones and the brakes will be like new again!

GSF do Brembo disks that I hear are very good (not tried em) but out off all the other makes i've tried that GSF sell I think the VW ones are better, last much longer and they are balanced! - they also seem to work really well with the Fast Road Pads.

Not that I know anything about anything but the non dealer garage that Bristol Baron recomended to me put Brembo disks on.

And yes, the brakes are wonderful. I had forgotten what it was like to be able to stop!

Yes there is scoring, so looks like new disks too! I will get a friend to take me to GSF tomorrow morning and get the bits! Will then have to find a garage to fit them the same day!! how easy will that be? humm...........

Thanks for the advice guys!!

UPDATE: got it sorted today!!

GSF were out of the disks so went to Central Auto Supplies

Pads = £19.99 + VAT

Disks = £29.84 for the 2!!!!! + VAT

then got my local garage to fit um for £50!!

Well happy now the car stops!!

Can anyone else add anything to this to assist with choosing VW vs Brembo (or anything else for that matter).

A local garage fitted pads and discs 16 months ago but they must have been very poor quality. Warping off the disk is obvious under low and high speed braking and a recent inspection revealed pads that had come completely free of the backing! I have banged in some new Ferodo pads as a n emergency measure but now need to make a choice about which disks to use.

Old thread this, tho I could do with flying a question out - basically, how do I get a solid feel through my breaks anyone? I must admit I don't think I've ever felt this other than driving my sister's new Polo. I've had new breaks fitted on various cars in the past, but nothing like I've felt in my sister's. Could do with this on the VR. Appreciate any advice. :notworthy:

Veearrhsix, brake feel is most likely to do with old fluid, especially is they are 'spongey'

The other thing that can affect 'feel' that often gets overlooked is the rear brakes - make sure everything is working well, discs are clean and not corroded and handbrake mech ok. Also check for excessive bearing play!

Veearrhsix, brake feel is most likely to do with old fluid, especially is they are 'spongey'

The other thing that can affect 'feel' that often gets overlooked is the rear brakes - make sure everything is working well, discs are clean and not corroded and handbrake mech ok. Also check for excessive bearing play!

Cheers Supercharged, I was considering on new hoses, as as you say 'sponginess' being something of a characteristic. How old is old fluid for it to be regarded as old?

One significant moment I've noticed after long periods of driving, is after applying the breaks on the odd chance, the pedal fights its way up against my pressing down - like a solid 'brick'. Then after releasing it, normal service resumes. With them being heart in mouth moments (3 so far), I did notice a scraping, like metal on metal if you like. Tho the break pads are approx 5 months old there should be no issue there. After the 3rd time, I've pulled over and checked all discs for abnormal scarring and nothing noticeable. Just thought could there be an abnormal heat source boiling my break fluid somewhere? :scratch: