Sign in to follow this  
blackcat

Bodyshop recommendations

Can anyone recommend any bodyshops in the Bedford/MK/Peterborough area?

The time has come to sort the scratch out, just want one side resprayed where it's been keyed, and possibly (depending on price) the other door to get rid of the chips.

Biggerbigneil, is your car brilliant black metallic?

I quite fancy having my bumpers resprayed, and was thinking, the ideal thing would be to find someone who wants some bits doing the same colour locally, then the sprayer can chuck it all in together and we can split costs. Not sure if body shops work like that though as I've no previous experience.

Just a thought...

I'll have to find out the definite type of black, it's definitely not metallic though so should be easy to touch minor chips up. I think it's pearl black or something like that?

I have a couple of small dings in the door and been told by the pros not to get them pulled out as the laquer will crack and rust but then I don't want filler on my car - maybe have it pulled out then resprayed?

Aye, but Bedford is a long way away! :)

Still, I wonder if it would work out much cheaper if you were to take your car along to have the work done, then, at the same time I throw my bumbers in next to it so the bodyshop can do it all at once. I then throw both you and the bodyshop some cash, so it works out slightly cheaper for both of us.

Can anyone suggest wether or not a bodyshop would be willing to do this, and indeed wether or not it would actually be worthwhile?

I have no idea how much I'd be looking at to get both bumpers sprayed, but I imagine most of the cost would be in gettting the shop to mix up the paint in the first place...

Yep, bodyshops have to mix up paint in minimum of litre quantities (so I've been told by my local sprayer), so the more things they can paint 'whilst doing a job', the better. As a guide, most average sized cars require around 4 to 5 litres for an entire respray. 1 litre should cover a bumper or three....

How you get the parts to and from them isn't their concern, they just prep it and paint it :D

Most of the cost of spray work is preperation, aka labour.

Paints vary from £50 a litre to £500 a litre...depending on brand and finish. Complex metallics obviously fit into the latter price bracket.

I would recommend any panel work on the front of the car (bonnet, sills, mirrors, bumper) be painted with 30% plasticised Standox paint for good chip resistance. Other good brands of paint are Glasurit, 3M and Sikkens.

blackcat there is a paint shop in one of the small villages your side of bedford rehnold i think, there called Vinking resprays they did my brothers bike very cheaply £75 for a flip paint job and it was a a top job too but it was a very small bike! im going over to them soon to get a quote so ill let you know how i get on price wise etc. i saw some of their work and it looked good.

blackcat there is a paint shop in one of the small villages your side of bedford rehnold i think, there called Vinking resprays they did my brothers bike very cheaply £75 for a flip paint job and it was a a top job too but it was a very small bike! im going over to them soon to get a quote so ill let you know how i get on price wise etc. i saw some of their work and it looked good.

Cheers, sounds good, let me know how you get on......

Big-Ted, is it just both bumpers that you want spraying?

Thought PVS had moved to milton Keynes?

well thats what a suppiler for them told me today

chris

Thought PVS had moved to milton Keynes?

well thats what a suppiler for them told me today

chris

nope. still in northampton

never ever cut corners on bodywork, it will always show, i think this is the area where most of the money should be spent has it def makes or breaks a car

also there is no such thing has a good or bad paint job in my book, a paint job is meant to be GOOD, end of . An average or poor paintjob is not even worth £5 in my book

2p's worth

blackcat16v one fo the guys that comes to my monthly event his brother sprayed his car (mkI 8v turbo) and the paint work is floorless and prob better than some of these common known names in the scene and he is based in mk or luton cant remember lol

Its like glass and considering this car sleeps outside and driven like its stolen there is no signs of probs like most resprays later on in its life

If u pm me i can put u in contact with them as i speak to them alot on msn

ive seen some of their work looks good in the mags but up close not so sure

the green corrado PVS did was looking shabby at E38. You could see the bumper sinking where the fogs used to be. Still better than 99% of UK corrados though

the green corrado PVS did was looking shabby at E38. You could see the bumper sinking where the fogs used to be. Still better than 99% of UK corrados though

blue16v thats a bit af a harsh comment isnt it ?

blue16v thats a bit af a harsh comment isnt it ?[/quote:971dd]

which bit? bumper was definately dodgy. thats not harsh....i said much worse in the past! :lol:

blue16v thats a bit af a harsh comment isnt it ?

why? was it not shabby then? there is a mk2 golf in bedford kind of a pinky purple that was well known on the scene mid 90's its looking awful now they put an aircraft filler cap on it and its rusting around where they welded it in.