Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

Just got My FK Coilovers, urgent help pahleeeez

Just got my coilovers and im examining the front ones as far as i can recall my vr standard strut has a little metal piece on one side where the brake flexi clips into. MY coilovers have a metal piece but its bent side ways so if your looking at the fitted strut its pointing back to the engine.................it dont look right do i need to bend it out?

Not completely sure on this as its been a while since I fitted my konis, but I think the bit the brake flexi clips to unbolts from the old shocks and goes on to the new ones. The bent metal piece is to help locate it.

****update*****

Just started on the rears first, i've got both struts in and the car is sat on the ground. Both of the top rear mounts have a 17mm nut at the very top, then a metal plate, under that another 17mm nut that sits on top of the rubber mount. I have changed the rear suspension before and when it came to tightening these 17mm nuts they would tighten like an ordinary nut on a thread it would have a point where it stopped.

Now on my fk's i put the rubber mount on, put the first nut on and tightend it as soon as it touches the rubber and i wanted to tighten well the whole threaded shaft turns it didnt even feel like it tightned much what am i supposed to do??????...........apologies for the lenghty post but i needed to make my self as clear as.

Thanks

is there a bit at the top of the strut to get a smallish spanner on? while the 17mm is tightened?

not the damping adjustment bit!

neil.

to be honest i dont know myself m8.

i think i managed to overtighten mine,and the 2 metal spacer things(that sit either side of rubber) have been banging each other and got chewed up :roll:

im tryna source some new ones as the original vw ones dont fit over the fk's.

neil.

rite done the rears and im quite confused about the front, i thought it would be simple remove refit job, dropped the front strut only to find a rubber mount on top of it, it wont pull off so me thinks right put a spring clamp on it undo the nut remove the mount. But does that mean i gotta do the same for fitting. i mean put spring clamps on my brand new FK's :roll:

nope,you shouldnt need to put spring clamps on the fk's.

if need be,just wind the spring platforms right down so the spring isnt under any tension.

neil. :)

how much are new top mounts?, i remember reading a mot failure sheet and certain my car failed on excessive play in top mounts this was just before i bought it, how can i tell just by looking at them if there worn, the struts are now out of the car.

im just doing the front struts with new mounts.

on the fk's you get a locking nut and under that a big nut that hold the top plate in place.

on my standard struts you have a locking nut on top but the nut that holds the top plate on has a built in washer so the rubber mount doesnt come off.

I fitted the new mount on the fk tighted the nut they give you with it and when i pulled on the mount it comes straight off???

So i then used the nut off my standard suspension that has the built in washer and the mount is fine (dont pull off)

is this right should i use the nut off the old strut and bin the one that came with the fks?????????

Dont worry about the rubber lifting off, once its on the car its not going anywhere.

From memory its top spring plate, bearing, nut with built in washer (threaded bush) rubber top mount in place (before bush or by pressing it over), then on car and from in the engine bay top plate then the other nut (probably this would be the one that came with your fk's).

sorry m8,forgot about this thread! :oops:

im not familiar with the vr setup myself,but on the g60 i used the old nuts too,cant remember why but the ones supplied wouldnt do!

neil.