Sign in to follow this  
randal

Suspension woes - top mounts?

After getting the new susp on there at the weekend, I've got an intermittent clunk noise at low speeds. Also have a weird thing on the go with the steering, it sort of "snaps" back a bit after a hard corner.

I've had a look underneath, and at the mounts and I think I've traced the problem. The Weitec kit from C&R came with VR6 top mounts and plates to improve the ride. The driver's side plate is sitting a bit higher than the passenger, so much so I can get my thumb between the plate and the turret :(

When we were tightening the nylock nut at the top of the piston, the passenger side went tight, and the driver's side wouldn't tighten past a certain point leaving play in the mount. After jiggering around, removing the strut/plate/mount and repositioning everything came together OK... ...or so I thought.

Both struts were built up at the same time, and both were identical from bottom bolts to the plastic plate covers - anyone have any idea why the driver's side would be so problematic?

Thanks

IIRC there should be a collar that fits onto piston rods? These form a 'stop' for the top nut and also a spacer? Dunno...it's been ages since I've seen a strut in bits.

The 'snapping' back I take it is aggressive self centering? I quite like that :D But it points to a lot of negative camber, poss too much. Has it been geomerofied yet?

Offside strut doesn't sound right.....you shouldn't be able to get your little pinky between the top hat and strut, let alone a chunky thumb!

As you were unable to fully tighten the top nut, I'm guessing that's where your clunking is coming from.

I think you need to have that there strut off again and it give it a good going over!

Yep, that's right - there's two components between the top spring plate and the turret. There's the mount and the collar. Both have to sit sorta like:

|

\__/ - top mount

/--\ - collar

|

The snap back happens just after the wheel centres, which would point to strut maybe relocating and taking the wheel with it - pulling the whole lot about. There's not too much negative camber, a wee bit - but not a huge amount. I haven't had it geomerofied (liking the term!) yet, but I would hope that the dude at the alignment place would have copped it yesterday if there was a problem.

I think I'm going to have to get grubby again this weekend, strip the front struts off and have another look. Worst case scenario, I've got the original mounts that I can reuse.

Thanks for the information, good to know. 8)

Looks like the tracking/alignment is off again, took it back down to the garage to get them to check it over and they're p*ssing and moaning about the track rod ends. Personally I can't anything wrong with them, but as I've replaced pretty much everything else down there I might as well do them too. That way I can eliminate them.

I've definately got negative camber on the front end, so that's not helping the diagnosis. The dude also said I've got uneven wear on the front tyres (probably owing to some numpty driving 100 miles on badly aligned wheels :roll: ) so I'm going to swap them over for the rears and see if that helps. Sigh, another weekend working on the car when I should be out drinking beer... ...oh well :D

Was just about to start a similar post. Currently having the same problem with standard suspension and top mounts.

Problem ive got is the passengers side top mount is sitting higher than the drivers side, steering centres 5-10'c to the right. Been in the garage today and couldn't find anything wrong with the parts. Even swapped parts from one side to the other still the same.

Right, sigh... much kicking of self - then kicking of father! After pressing the wishbone bushes back in, I gave the arm to me Dad who put it back on the car... ...what did he forget?

THE METAL SLEEVE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BUSH!

Going to squeeze this in this weekend, see if that helps.... ;)

Aha! Good job you discovered that mate as the bolt would eat the bush away pretty quickly....a definite safety thing you've sorted there, well done. They also guide the bolt into the captive nut.

They can be pigs to align.....don't fancy doing that in 28 degree heat!!!

I totally forgot we're due a scorcher, piddle. Oh well, I've ordered a load more parts to put on the rado - and I'll be damned if i'm letting a little bit of tan/sweat get in the way! :D

I hoping this will solve the funny play i've got in the steering and braking - otherwise I'm fresh out of ideas. :?