Sign in to follow this  
Just 1.8 16V

Bloody Electrics!! (i think)

So, for about the last 6 months my 16v'er has started running rough around idle to about 3000 RPM when ive gone through large puddles, but now its getting worse and is doing it most of the time!

I started by cleaning up every possible electrical sensor on the right hand side of the engine and i just pictured water getting in somewhere-perhaps just giving the ECU some weird sig, that didn't fix anything so ive also replaced the; spark plugs, HT leads, distributor cap, rotor arm and swapped coils.

It feels like its hunting at idle/perhaps running on 3 cyl then when you put your foot down chugs a bit and then suddenly leaps into life at higher revs (>3000) almost as if the spark becomes powerful enough to get it running back on 4 cyl.

Anyone had a similar problem?? All I have is the haynes golf manual which features a small supplement on the 16v engine- is the factory corrado manual worth getting? does it feature much on the 16V engine?

Any help appreciated, Cheers

The closest to a factory manual, the Bentley, doesn't cover the 16V at all. The Golf manual is the one for the engine.

As for your faults have a look at the fuel distributor and throttle body. The ISV can also play up, not that it would make it run on 3.

Gavin