Sign in to follow this  
greasy weasel

My worst nightmare

Guys,

I bought a VR6 about 3 months ago and the man said it was a Storm. Everything about it said Storm. Black leather seats (heated of course), Mystic Blue, Rear badge.

However I came to get the air con fixed and it was a Diavia and not VW system, and as it doesn't have the original alloys I'm starting to doubt it's the real deal.

Any foolproof methods to find out? If some shit has just glued a 'Storm' badge on the back and done it up I shall not be happy.

Weasel

Diava was the kit fitted to stoprm and Other Corrados, Aircon was NOT an option on UK models, so the dealers fitted. The Chassie Number is the way to tell. It needs to fall between certain numbers to be a storm. Im sure someone will give you the details, but if you get stuff, give me the chassis number and i'll check it for you against the old EPC

As far as i know no Corrado had VW aircon they were all fitted after production by Diavia.

As for the storm thing id say its real if its in Mystic blue as thats a storm only colour. Could confirm if its original by finding the paint code on the sticker in the boot. Im sure the storm owners on here have a sure fire way of confirming what it is.

All the AC kits were made by Diavia, so your safe there. If its mystic Blue, it cant be anything but a storm so youre safe there also.

If the sticker in the boot or the sticker in the service book has LC5L the code for Mystic on it your home and dry.

You cant tell by chassis number.

That picture didn't come through chief. As for the colour there is a yellow tag on the inside of the bonnet on the left hand side which says mystic blue and she doesn't look re-sprayed. What concerns me is the actual 'VR6' badge on the back is in red and not silver as I have seen on all the promo pictures.

if its mystic then is must be a storm as the mystic was only a storm colour unlike the Classic grean which was on other Corrados

But what colour is the Corrado Badge!! as it is possible the VR6 one was niced and replaced, or didn't have the correct one fitted.

The 'corrado' badge is silver. And the chassis number is 50-S-002975. Mean anything to you?
Badges mean nothing, IMHO.

Your VIN is not far off my Storm's VIN of 3013. The best proof of all would be the sticker in the boot (or Service Schedule) bearing the magic paint code LC5L (AKA Mystic Blue)

Some people change the silver VR badge to a red one so that is ties in with the red Storm badge. I wouldn't worry about it - if the paint code is mystic, its got black heated leather and two Storm badges - then I'm pretty sure it's a storm. It has the Solitudes as well - yeah?

The chassis numbers of Storms are NOT sequential - don't fall into that trap. The only way to tell for sure if it's a storm is to note the chassis number and call VW - they will have it on record if it was a storm or not. If it's genuinely Mystic Blue and hasn't been resprayed I'd say it's almost certainly a storm anyway.

As has been pointed out, the aircon was retro-fit on ALL RHD corrados.

I had people doubting my Storm as she has no sun roof.

All other spec matched up L35L and colour code was on all stickers (boot, service book etc etc).

I phone VAG with registration number, chassis and engine number and they confirmed it was factory production with no sunroof and yes she is a Storm.

Call them on 0800 711811. They were very helpful.

At the end of the day, if you take the Storm badges off, is it still a Storm?

Does it drive like a VR?

Does it look like a VR?

Does it handle like a VR?

Is the interior like a VR?

Does it have anything else that a standard VR couldn't also get as an optional extra?

Alloys and a paintjob that you could get on a million golfs.

Sorry, but I feel better now.

Well she's got 'BBS' alloys now so no original bits there. Iv'e hunted in the boot for a sticker but couldn't find one, but I have found a yellow plate which is rivetted to the bodywork inside the engine bay which has 'LC5L' Mystic Blue printed on it with a few other codes. Where am I looking in the boot? Customer care will have to wait until tuesday.

BBS made the original solitudes and alot of other OE alloys for VW...

It may have been rear ended and thats why the rear panel sticker is missing (not really a problem if it's been fixed ok and not suprising on cars of this age either)

Anyway - stop panicing!! It will be a Storm as Mystic Blue was a Storm only colour, you got everthing else - just buy a set of shabby BBS Solitudes and get them referbed to finish her off...

All clear!!!! My baby has been confirmed as a Storm. Now guys where can I get her checked out to make sure the engine is performing as it should?

I want her running perfectly and need to know where to go and how much it's likely to cost?

I know it's probably me just getting used to the power but she's starting to feel a bit sluggish, and just want to check her out.

Weasel.

I'm running out of Birmingham on the south west corner. I've been toying with the idea of tinkering with the engine.... but would quite like to keep her as close to original spec as possible. Although someone before me has lowered it to the point of not being able to use multi storey carparks, and bolted a new cone and exhaust on.

I know exactly what you mean, and I too want to add things and whatnot. But I am going to sell the existing alloys and put the original ones back on, I would want it back to the standard condition. Especially since it's a modern classic.