Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Koni rear height adjustment

Where's the best place to jack up the rear when adjusting the circlips on koni's. I usually jack up the rear under the axle but the axle needs to drop to adjust the circlips.

Can I just use the scissor jack under the usual place inder the sill?

Thanks for any help.

D

Only see stealth do it - they get the car on the lift and then slot a floor standing jack under the spring plate to take the tension out...

Where's the best place to jack up the rear when adjusting the circlips on koni's. I usually jack up the rear under the axle but the axle needs to drop to adjust the circlips.

Can I just use the scissor jack under the usual place inder the sill?

Thanks for any help.

D

jack it on the beam, put axle stands under the front edge of the mounting bracket for the beam (just in front of beam bushes) and remove the jack.

scissor jacks are only safe for wheel changes IMO.

David.

Seconded Supercharged, it was a pain in the butt doing it (the lazy way) on a ramp, so god knows what sort of job it'll be on a drive.

Good luck!

Much of a pain as it is, removing the shock is easiest. Or maybe you can get spring compressors in?

Gavin

It's all about pressing the spring plate in the right place. It's quite easy with a tall, trolley mounted bottle jack....but getting the circlip on and off can be tricky due to a lack of space. Stealth managed it in about 30 mins, both sides....which is cheaper than stripping the shocks.

Don't forget to clean out the shock grooves thoroughly or the circlip won't go back in fully.

Ok thanks chaps. Do I need a pair of circlip pliers or can I get hold of it with a pair of grips?

Cheers

Ok thanks chaps. Do I need a pair of circlip pliers or can I get hold of it with a pair of grips?

Cheers

Mine didn't have holes for circlip pliers, I guess you just need to pull them with grips, probably poking them with a screwdriver or something at the ends, looks like a right fiddle with them on the car.

David.