Sign in to follow this  
Rustynuts

G60 knock sensor, how to test?

I am sure that my knock sensor is intermittant, sometimes the car is a bag of cack to drive, sometimes it flies. Having ruled out the WOT switch by changing it, i suspect this could be the cause.

Firstly, are knock sensor failures common on a G60? I have never had any problems with 8v Golfs running Digi2.

Secondly i read on Vortex that to test the sensor you hit the block and it will advance the fueling. Right well i tried that by giving it a good prod with a breaker bar and i could tell no difference at all at idle, should i have revved it a bit whilst doing this test, and also how can i tell if something is happening? Do the revs lift slightly?

It'll retard the TIMING when it detects knock. The engine should slow down.

I wouldn't point a finger at the knock sensor before doing all the other usual suspects. ECU pipe, Lambda probe, engine earths.

Gavin

EDIT Run with it disconnected see what happens

I will give that a try, done the lambda, ECU pipe is fine if slightly short - 96cm and all the earths seem to be ok but will give them the once over again.

Will try disconnecting, however when i created knock nothing happened at all.

u would need to create, and sustain knock, at a frequency that made sense to the ecu before u would see an effect

my knock sensor was all fraid and looked pretty useless i tried the hammer test and got no response.bought and fitted a new one was no different,tries again with a hammer and still no effect on the timing light so dont assume its broke

Well i heard that it won't make too much difference if its upto 5cm short, anyway that's not the problem here as my problem is intermittant. Interestingly car has been flying today, almost as if hammering near the knock sensor as knocked it (scuse the pun) back into line.

Anyhow will see how it goes, picked a spare up today so will try that at some point.

Anything more than 5cm short starts to make a difference. If you replace it might as well do it right though.

Gavin