Sign in to follow this  
Baz2004

Engine mount

I can recomend the vibratechnics engine mount, fitted one to my VR and it made a whole world of difference! looking at around £120 IIRC unless you can get one second hand as I did. Some people would say the OE one will do you fine, depends what you want from it and how knackered the current one is. Uprated ones reportedly transmit more vibration from the engine, although I have to say mines still perfectly refined.

What’s involved in fitting them? i.e is it possible to do without stripping the engine/exhaust manifold?

its a bit fiddly but i fitted mine to my G60 by just diconnecting a few pipes and wriggling it around :D

mines got a JMR solid mounth now and it does transmit alot more vibration when you really punch it, but for everday driving you dont notice.

good price though!

Get one of the above, I have Vibratechnics front, back and gear box and I can highly recommend them, yes you do get more vibration from them but they are worth it, you really notice the difference.

Does anyone have a pic of an empty engine bay with all the mounts in? I presume a VR/G60 set will fit a 16V?

VR front mounts are different to 4cylinder ones. The others are the same AFAIK.

Gavin

When I took my VR front mount off it wasn't oil filled. There's two rubber parts, a larger part that sits above the cross member, and a smaller part below. The top part just had loads of holes through it to make it more flexible. I changed the bottom part for a turn2 polyurethane replacment (£20) and it stopped the engine rocking about but hasn't introduced any extra vibration. Overall happy with that although this could probably still fail and give the bonnet some extra power bulges.

I'm personally abit sceptical of these completely solid engine mounts. It must introduce more vibration, and because the engine tends to twist (especially if the other mounts are left standard), if there's no give surely the bolts are going to be under alot more strain and could shear?? Can't see how the cross member bushes deal with this alone. Expecting to be shot down for this view..... :)

there's no give surely the bolts are going to be under alot more strain and could shear?? Can't see how the cross member bushes deal with this alone. :)

I’ve heard of people welding the front mount on their track cars for this reason. No matter what mount they use the bolts always give out, poly cross member bushes can last longer but may increase the problem with more vibration.

My front mount's gone as well...

Was gonna get an oem one at the weekend but dunno now.

Are the JMR solid mounts different from the golf diesel solid ones?

How much do oem ones cost for comparison?

Louie, they cost naff all. I have a soild one from the Passat that I broke. You can stiffen them up if you have the facility to weld it back together. I lent my MIG out. If you want it for a fiver let me know.

Gavin

Jesus. Just been onto VW.

£119.49 for a Corrado oil filled front mount, and £87.67 for the 1.8 D Mk 2 Golf solid one.

I'm suddenly reminded why we call them Stealers!

What is it that needs welding on that one of yours, Gav?

Nothing if you want to fit it as it is. What I did to the one on my syncro is pull it apart. You have a rubber block filled with holes. I filled most of the holes up with a load of old bolts.

I then welded the top back on.

Not got any pictures but come over and I can show you what's what. Or like I say just fit it as it is.

Gavin

EDIT GSF do them for less than VW. The one like mine is 24.50 plus VAT. The Hydro one is more.

You can make the solid front mounts pretty cheaply - I had a couple of them made for £35ea!

I have a set of detailed drawings for sale (£10) that you can take to a CNC machine shop and get one made.

I have been selling my JMR solid alloy front mounts for about a year now and they have been widely and well received by all, both on and off the forum. I have had one fitted to my 16VG60 for all this time, and a little longer besides, and have not seen any signs of deterioration whatsoever. Given the torque output of my engine, and the fact that it destroyed a Vibratech mount i would suggest that JMR mounts are up to the job and thoroughly tried and tested. I personally have not experienced any undue vibration from my own car as a result of this mount, and i know this is also the case with the vast majority of my customers. I continue to sell these mounts as fast i can replenesh stock, so this allone tells me that they are a valid and well thought of component when a replacement is required. The asking price of £70 (plus £5 P&P for mail order) i feel is both fair and offers exceptional value for money, especially when the other options are twice as much! Fitting of JMR front mounts is simplicity itself and indeed made all the more easy through being a far less bulky item than the OEM mount, a deffinate plus point when you consider how crowded the G60 engine bay is in this area. I wellcome all enquiries on this subject and am happy to offer assistance with fitting instructions.

If I'm ever buying a new-un John. you'll be getting a shout, but cheers to H100VW for supplying the one I just got.

Oh, Gav. By the way..... My missus, (after sitting, and watching me and yourself jibber-jabbering) said she thought there'd been a mix up at the hospital!

I think that's a compliment mate. (to you, obviously) :wink: :lol: :lol:

I'm personally abit sceptical of these completely solid engine mounts. It must introduce more vibration, and because the engine tends to twist (especially if the other mounts are left standard), if there's no give surely the bolts are going to be under alot more strain and could shear?? Can't see how the cross member bushes deal with this alone. Expecting to be shot down for this view..... :)

So am I mate but the 4 cross member bushes have a LOT of give in them, especially 10 year old squidgy ones, so you can get away with it, just. Vibration is certainly transmitted into the cabin using a lower turn2 poly mount in the case of a VR6, so a solid metal can only be worse, it's simple physics! I have VT all round and poly cross member bushes and it's perfect. Holds the engine still round corners and reduces drivetrain shunting to almost zero.

Being shot down in flames seems par for the course on here these days but don't worry about it, say your piece and let the people that don't like it lump it, basically.