Sign in to follow this  
tattyrado

mk2 golf Gear stick moves too far to the left

Hi, my missis has just bought a '89 Golf GTI 8v - her first VW. Anyway the gear stick doesn't need to be pushed down to select reverse - it just moves all the way over to the left which makes it a bugger to find first. Can anyone tell me what the problem is and if its an easy fix?

Hope non raddo questions are OK but if not I appologise and heres a more relevent one. Both door handles on my G60 have broken (If you pull them they feel loose and dont do anything). Its getting a bit embaressing lifting my 4 year old son over the parcel shelf and back seats to open the door for me. I seem to remember reading something on this forum about someone who makes a repair kit - does anyone know who he is and how much it'll cost me.

Cheers :)

I've just had a look at the gear lever and the problem is that it has dropped slightly - enough to avoid the bit of plastic that normally stops it moving all the way across to the left. Anyone know why its dropped? I'll have a look under the car in the morning and see what I can see .

I had a similar problem with my car... but the reason it was happening was because a small circlip (sp?) had come off the bottom of the gear stick, alowing it to slide to the left more than usual... I replaced this clip and all was well - although it does still come off from time to time, as the clip I replaced it with was just one I found in my garage :roll:

Yeah my gears were all over the shop, so i checked the circlip and it was broke........this is it in the pic......12p +vat - part no N0123276...Had a right carry on at the stealers finding the right clip, it could be 4 from the exploded view of the stick !.so they had to order all 4 to find the right one. (there not very bright but there happy!) They dont keep em in stock btw....keep a spare one in the glove box cos they break with wear. :wink:

mk2 golfs dont have the cable change like corrados

you will need to rebuild the linkages and fit a new ball n cup under the gear stick

its all fairly cheap to do, but dirty and time consuming...make SURE you do all the bushes it should make it MUCH nicer...a change to redline mtl oil will make a differance

mk2 golfs dont have the cable change like corrados

you will need to rebuild the linkages and fit a new ball n cup under the gear stick

its all fairly cheap to do, but dirty and time consuming...make SURE you do all the bushes it should make it MUCH nicer...a change to redline mtl oil will make a differance

was just gonna post the same thing. need to do this on mine!