Sign in to follow this  
MK1G60R1

G60 Lightened Flywheel

I`ve lightened my fly wheel, i did it before i but my engine in on a conversion. Cost me about £60.

G60 mk1 cab conversion..

So you had your one one lightened? I was just wandering how easy it would be to fit the one above with my ring gear. I don't know how this is fitted to the flywheel as Ive never looked at it in that much detail...

I've fitted a lighted fly wheel. Got mine from designer dubs it was a standard one that had been machined down.

f3c1e835.jpg.thumb.jpg

f3c1e82b.jpg.thumb.jpg

Makes a difference the engine revs more freely.

The ring gear is heated up then pressed on. Better get a machine shop to do it as it is quite easy to crack the ring gear.

just get your one machined down or contac darren @ g-werks. he does them on exchange iirc

yeh have ur 1 grinded down, i dnt see any teeth on the ebay 1 like the orininal does but taking ur 1 off and lightening it local would be cheaper considering postage and delivery time. Mine was done in a day.

Are you guys crazy ? i have seen engines destroyed by people using flywheels that have been lightened by the mate at the pub on his lathe. Never fit a lightened flywheel that hasn't been properlly balanced. Ours are balanced and you also dont need to fit your own ring gear.

Its also worth noting that you should have your clutch pressure plate balanced to the flywheel aswell

Are you guys crazy ? i have seen engines destroyed by people using flywheels that have been lightened by the mate at the pub on his lathe. Never fit a lightened flywheel that hasn't been properlly balanced. Ours are balanced and you also dont need to fit your own ring gear.

I'm totaly with Darren on this one!

Would you drive your car with un-ballanced wheels? I think not. So imagine what an un ballanced fly wheel feels like to your mains and gearbox input shaft! :shock:

I lighten and balance stock flywheels. I'm a machinst by trade and have sold loads of them in the past. They help the engine rev up quick, though the revs do drop quicker too in between changes.

As long as their done right, you won't have a problem, and you MUST have them balanced!