Sign in to follow this  
W3RKD

head unit advice...

Whilst the interior is away being covered in some fine cow skin the car will be getting sent away for a small ice install. so looking for advice/recomendations on head units etc.

The system will be very small and comprise of a set of audioscape door builds housing a set of 150mm kef uniQ's, a ported 12" in the boot and hopfully just one amp. What would you guys recomend as all we have at the moment it the front doors sorted.

System needs to be subtle but also the best quailty parts can only be used.

get of those nakamichi (seplling most likely wrong) units their seriously phat and look OE

Kef UniQ that’s a very nice piece of car audio, use to have them myself running with rainbow cross-overs.

I would go for a nakamichi cd 400, amazing sound and looks, and put a JL w7 in the boot, maybe put a pair of quality 6inch midbass (ID) in there as well - but its budget dependant

You say its for a demo car, how long is the install going to be in? I might be able to help you with some bits

the budget is negotiable as allways just want a simple install but what is used has to be the best. Its going in our demo rallye which im not planning on selling anytime soon so hopfully will be with me for some time.

If plain and simple is your brief and has to be the best quality, then:-

HU - Nakamichi CD500, Becker Mexico Pro, Alpine 9835R

Amp - Genesis Series III 4 Channel

Sub - Image Dynamics IDQ 12 in a 1cu ft ported box

Definately try Alpine for the head unit Darren - even their basic units are top quality. Agree with kevhaywire on the amp - Genesis are very, very good for the money.

ok guys thanks so far i have now added the alpine 9835r to the list as my local hi-fi shop sorted me out a deal i really couldn't refuse..

now then Kev this sub your recomending how does it compare to the JL w7 range? to be honest it alot cheaper and looks alot more compact for an enclosure etc (remember the boot floor in rallye is allready raised so room is going to be a bit of an issue.) Just dont want to scrimp on components as i dont need many so might aswell have the best.

turn around for you to be planning an install Darren.....fed up with having to use ear plugs in the track day tool of yours......

A head unit that includes a screen may be nice......especially if it can link to sat nav? Can they do that?

I will stick the loom in the post by the way....

the rallye is our demo car so need to be complete in every way... the golf is the caged animal so never gonna have a stereo in there as the really would be no point. the rallye will have a little more refinement to travel to the euro shows etc. there is allready a 7" tft screen planned in the console. dvd /real time AFR' readings :wink:

I can only speak for the 12W7 but it's a great sub and can work in smallish sealed enclosures too. If you didn't want the expense of the 12W7 much of it's technology is carried through to the 12W6v2:

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/12w6v2.html

Also, I've heard an 8W7 and despite it's size, when correctly driven it sounds like most 12's do. Also, that works in a 0.875cuft enclosure so won't take up much space. It's an amazing sub.

Diamond Audio are also worth a look. I've got a (relatively) cheap 12 inch CM3 12 inch sub which I've been really impressed with and it drops really low even though it's in a 0.7cuft enclosure which is tiny.

You're not far away from Huets in Hove so you could listen to a JL and a Diamond sub as they're one of the country's best BBG distribution dealers (JL and Phoenix Gold importers). They've supplied all my kit and did my Corrado install and they're always very knowledgable and professional.

yes i know peter as i brought one of there instal's from there white mk2 golf back in the mid 90's.

Peter Peter with his SPL meter! He's a really good guy and always sports magnificant drainpipe jeans. I think he always rubs his hands together with glee when I walk in the shop! On a serious note though he really knows how to look after customers. He's invited me to two ICE seminars, one of which was with the JL Audio marketing manager who flew over from Miramar Florida (aka Fightertown USA from Top Gun!).

Darren, JLs are nice subs, very well made buy I don't rate them in small enclosures personally. They lack bottom end weight and can sound bloomy and boxy... but we all have different ears and perceptions of good SQ. The next one up, the 6W2 I think, are very good, but a bit deep though (nearly 10") if box size is a constraint.

The IDQs were made specifically for SQ in small boxes, they're not SPL subs. ID MAXX is their SPL sub but most people prefer the sound of the IDQ.

Browse some ICE forums mate, you'll not hear a bad word said agains Image Dynamics, the yanks love them. One chap had an IDQ 10" in a sealed 0.4 cu ft box in the front of his car and got a measured drop down to 18hz.....which in a box THAT small is nothing short of incredible.

The IDQ looks cheap and cheerful but if you want better presentation, go for an ARC sub as they're basically an IDQ in bettery packaging.

There's myriads of subs out there, so if possible, choose on sound rather than recommendation.