Sign in to follow this  
Yandards

Bump stops and lowering - how much to trim off?

Hello all,

Have got a nice new set of Koni TA's and some H&R springs to replace my FK coilovers as I find them to harsh.

As the H&R's are aprrox 30mm lower than standard springs I figure you have to take that much off the bump stops front and rear to give you full damper travel or there is going to be lots of dull thuds from the suspension.

Question is where do you lost 30mm from the stops? The rears are not to bad as the lower section is not too formed and they are more of a uniform cyclinder.

The fronts on the other hand are tapered at the bottom, my best guess would be to take 30mm from the top of the stop below the the taper and bond the top section back on to the chopped down stop.

I think you only really need to take the 30mm off the rears as they act as spring assistors unlike the fronts... saying that yo could use the mk4 fronts that are shorter anyways, also best to get the reas from GSF as they sell the rubber ones that don't disintegrate like the foam that VAG sell.

Just about to go and do it Chris, let you know when its done so you can come and have a look.