Sign in to follow this  
redcorrado

car is hesitant

Ok well now my car has had the wrong knock sensors on it for a while .

it had 054905377

and 054905377g

i have replaced 1 with 054905377a

have yet to replace the other .

i have had the car for 6 years and never had a problem so maybe they cant of done too much damage.

The garage has again run a diognostic with his (SYIKKES ?)hand held computer that plugs into the gearstick area.?

and thre was 1 fault code ,no the knock sensor but CLOSED THROTTLE POSITION SWITCH.

I HAVE driven the car with only 1 knock sensor attached ,didnt make any differnce also with the throttle position switch unpluged ,still the same.

Right this car has now had replaced

both fuel pumps

plugs

distibuter cap

rotar arm

second hand (fuel injection metering head sensors and airflow plate)

1 Knock sensor.

The car is still the same so rather thatn buy anything else im taking it to the main vw dealer next week.As its costing a fortune.

As long as the numbers are the same it's the same part, the g on the end is a design revision. i.e. 054905377 was the original 054905377a would be the 1st revised version 054905377g is the same thing but with 7 modifications. Therefore the higher the letter the better.

Sort the throttle closed position switch out, if it is faulty I suspect it is doing one of two things.

1. Not telling the ECU the car is at idle which would cause lots of stalling.

2. Telling the ECU the car is permanantly at idle, I would think this would cause problems when driving - could well be your problem.

Yes thanks . its going to the main dealer on tuesday next week.I will tell them everything thats been done and the fault with the throttle switch.

Surely there cant be a lot more to replace :cry:

Yes thanks . its going to the main dealer on tuesday next week.I will tell them everything thats been done and the fault with the throttle switch.

Surely there cant be a lot more to replace

Keep going, you'll get it sorted soon.

redcorrado, mine got better yesterday as in running absolutely fine, and then again today that crappy hesitancy. Did yours start intermittantly?

Well it came on slowly over a few weeks ,and then has been a pig ever since ,there was a couple of times when i thought it had cured itself ,then it started again.

mine is really intermittant, has no pattern at all!

i really dont know what 2 try next! knock sensors? throttle switch? lambda probe?

any suggestions?

I have not had time to read through the entire thread I'm afraid, but I had similar problems with mine for ages, slowly got worse and worse.

After wasting money on VW Service, Porsche, Bosch and numerous other garages who showered parts on it, a mate of mine found a small hole in the Vaccum pipe between the Inlet Manifold and ISV.

I replaced ECU's, ISVS, Fuel metering heads, Lambda sensors the works because I would not believe a small hole in a 7 quid pipe copuld cause so much grief...

Sorry if this has already been mentioned...

guys, just a little update,

It's not the leads :mad:

Also, found the connector for the lamda sensor/probe down the back of the engine. Unplugged it and it made no difference to the sh!te running of the car. Is this an indicator that the lamba's gone? Where exactly on the valver does it attach, in the cat?

Lambda probe is screwed into the cat. You can check the output of it with a digital voltmeter. Find the signal wire (purple/violet colour) where it comes out the top of that plug. Once warmed up the voltage should be changing between about .7- 1.0 volts. If not then chances are it's gone.

When the car is warming up the output will be lowish and then climb as the probe heats up. Only when the engine gets towards operating temp will it start to oscillate up and down. Don't worry if you don't get a steady reading, it should be hunting constantly as the ECU alters the mixture to keep the CO correct.

Gavin

Hey guys, just found this thread clickety click

My cat is definately buggered so, tonight i will be mostly kicking the crap out of it (literally) and testing the lambda - (and taking back those horrendously overpriced leads to GSF!!)

well at least thats another thing thats woth trying!

gonna b a busy day on sat!

cat, lambda probe, throttle switch the list goes on...

i love vw's!! :lol:

Well, just eliminated the throttle switch from the equasion, tested it with a multimeter and tis working fine!

Wipped out the ecu and everything was looking fine there, however, i do not have any vacume pipe as mentioned earlier in the thread? is this correct?

Still think its those knock sensors!!

Well, just eliminated the throttle switch from the equasion, tested it with a multimeter and tis working fine!

Wipped out the ecu and everything was looking fine there, however, i do not have any vacume pipe as mentioned earlier in the thread? is this correct?

Still think its those knock sensors!!

Dude, have you tested the exhaust system for blockages and the lamda? I'm starting to think that's the problem with mine (thanks for eliminating the throttle switch lol)

Thats gonna be my next port of call! gonna get over the pit on sat! to be honest i think my exhaust system is getting knackered anyway so i might have to bin the whole system and buy a nice new shiny one!

The cat is def looking rough!

You haven't got a vac pipe to the ECU? Is that what you are saying veedub.

If that true then I am surprised you are moving in your car.

Tell us more......

Gavin

EDIT seen you are 16V, still expecting a pipe to the ECU though. No wat for it to sense the load otherwise.

No vac pipe!! Just the large multi-pin electrical plug. looked over the whole ecu and there is nowhere for a pipe to connect!!

I was confused too!

No vac pipe!! Just the large multi-pin electrical plug. looked over the whole ecu and there is nowhere for a pipe to connect!!

I was confused too!

I can double check at the weekend if you like, but I'm 99% definate mine has no vacuum pipe to the ECU - the only connection that I remember is the multipin electrical one.

Quick update - it's not the cat, when I got it off I found it to be empty! All silenders behind are free from blockage too.

Yan came round and helped me sort the timing :notworthy: so it aint that either - so it is looking like the lamda is at least part of the problem, will be replacing that tomorrow and will let y'all know

Big update on my car.

Well took it to HELSTON GARAGES,my nearest local vw garage ,they had it all day and found there was a break in the wiring loom to the oxygen sensors ?

Unfortunatly i havent got the car back yet as it was to late for me to go and pick up the car,so i havent tested it myself.

But it took them 3 hours and they say its working fine .so fingers crossed ,im on day off tommorow so will see then.