Sign in to follow this  
chris g

2.0 16v performance increase

Right, my valver just hit 140,000 miles the other day and I think it deserves a bit of special treatment. Its burning a little oil on start-up in the mornings and if you sit in traffic for more than about 60 seconds it stutters a little when I pull off.

I'm guessing that this is going to be either the guides, the stem oil seals or a combination of both. Now I'm considering getting a new head from somewhere like TSR, polished and ported.

What preformance gains does this sort of head work give? also will the bottom end need any work at all? new rings etc? What else can I do to get more performance out of it, I've got a KR inlet cam ready to go it and am going to fit a new exhaust system too.

I did do a search but struggled to find anything.

Cheers

Chris

Mine's just coming up to 130k now so I'll second this motion. Would love to know what other people do to keep high mileage valvers umm..well...tight

I've just fitted a new head (ported and polished myself and replaced valve stem seals) No problems with smoke on start up now!

If you want to do it yourself you can, but it is time consumming! And you'll need another head of course.

My only advice would be to replace the valve guides too. I was quoted £120 to replace mine (including the guides @ £6 each)

Right, my valver just hit 140,000 miles the other day and I think it deserves a bit of special treatment. Its burning a little oil on start-up in the mornings and if you sit in traffic for more than about 60 seconds it stutters a little when I pull off.

I'm guessing that this is going to be either the guides, the stem oil seals or a combination of both. Now I'm considering getting a new head from somewhere like TSR, polished and ported.

What preformance gains does this sort of head work give? also will the bottom end need any work at all? new rings etc? What else can I do to get more performance out of it, I've got a KR inlet cam ready to go it and am going to fit a new exhaust system too.

I did do a search but struggled to find anything.

Cheers

Chris

The Club GTI forum http://www.clubgti.com/forum is very useful for this sort of info, particularly the 2L 16v thread in the engine section - loads of info.

In summary, 16v's are costly to get more power from, headwork is expensive and parts are not cheap.

I'd suggest shopping around a bit for a flowed head (but not purely on price) and get the inlet manifold (lower part) port matched to it.

You should get somewhere between 10-20bhp from a flowed head on a 16v, most benefit at the top end of course.

The standard cast iron exhaust manifold is perfectly adequate but will benefit from internal polishing/cleaning up casting a bit.

I'd also replace the crank bearing shells as you don't need to take the block out to do this, providing it's currently holding good compression and the bore walls look OK when you take the head off.

You should see a good 160-170 bhp on a KR inlet cam with this sort of spec engine, to achieve more you need to spend a lot of money on Blueprinting, wild cams and rolling road sessions.

Speaking from experience I think you'll be very happy with a 2L 16v with a flowed head if the car is a daily driver, you'll loose no economy or reliability if you keep everything else standard and it will run very smoothly.

David.

Coupled with a with a flowed head + new cams a 50mm inlet manifold, K&N and 4 branch exhaust manifold will give a decent performance, its all the little things that add up.

just to hijack this topic, been offered some cams for £150 to put on my 1.8 valver.would also get all the timing re-checked.

how much would i gain from this and also how much work is changing cams?

just to hijack this topic, been offered some cams for £150 to put on my 1.8 valver.would also get all the timing re-checked.

how much would i gain from this and also how much work is changing cams?

cams in a 1.8 is a no no,you will loose torque and make power band pants. im running 2 zorst cams which boosts lowdown and pulls all the way thru

i have seen kent/TSR cams give good results in 16v 1.8 kr motors along with a flowed head & 4 branch manifold ,

146 hp ATW,,,,

that engine was in a golf though, as you say the bigger cam in a heavier rrado may not be so good,,