Sign in to follow this  
leew

Supercharger rebuild and chip

Hello all,

This is my first post on here so be gentle :wink:

I'm currently looking to purchase my first G60. My brother had one a while back and I removed and refitted the supercharger after Jabbasport had done their thing. After bolting back together it went like stink!

Sorry getting side tracked, the reason for the post is that most of the G60's advertised here and there are high mileage (100,000miles and above) and have never had the supercharger reconditioned.

Is this going to be a problem? How much is a supercharger rebuild? My brothers rebuild and port came with a new chip is this normal?

Thanks for your advice and I hope I haven't sent any of you to sleep :)

Lee

Welcome to the forum!

G60s are getting on for 12 years old now so finding a low mileage one will be difficult.

At that age, it is highly recommended to get the G-lader rebuilt (Jabba advise to get it done at 70,000 miles). There are various stages of rebuild. Jabba do the Stage 2, Stage 4 & R1. Stage 2 will be about £400 (standard rebuild with uprated bearings, new seals wider toothed belt), but most people will go for the Stage 4 (as Stage 2 but outlet is ported) which is a little bit more. R1 is as Stage 4 but the inlet is opened up & is used with their induction kit.

The chip is normally sold separately & used in conjunction with a smaller G-lader pulley, to increase boost levels.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply

Would uprating a supercharger on a high milage C cause any problems? More stress on the engine?

As long as the engine is mechanically sound, it can cope with the extra power.

Mine has done 20,000 miles since the rebuild an is still going strong.

I recommend the 68mm pulley & chip. Still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it!! (which is every day)

Welcome to the forums .......... you'll never leave :evil: :lol:

We'll just move this thread to 'general' as well.

I would seriously advise you buy a G60 that has already had the charger rebuild done there are plenty of g60's with this done already. I bought my G60 2 years ago with 90,000miles on the clock and when I got round to taking it upto jabba to have it serviced it was knackered so I ended up paying out £1200 for a recon and taken out to stg4 charger. If your looking at a g60 with over 70,000miles on the clock and it hasn't had the charger done, walk away from it or bargain the rebuild cost into the price of the sale.

Welcome to the forum by the way!!

If the car has a full service history does that mean that the SC would have been changed? Did VW recommend to change the SC in their servicing schedule? :?

unfortunatly vw never address'd the charger in servicing that why so many go bang.. check our site for some more charger info....

unfortunatly vw never address'd the charger in servicing that why so many go bang.. check our site for some more charger info....

Nice site.

Do you do the smaller pully and the chip upgrade?

When I bought my G60 it had 121k on the clock with FSH, I immediately sent the charger to jabba for a stage 4, I phoned them to see how they were getting on with it and asked anout the general condition, they said it was in excellent shape with very little wear. You just can`t tell. :p

Dubcharged The products listed on pitstop developments site are all DIY. How difficult is it to rebuild the supercharger yourself???

They do the rebuilds and porting too. They're still updating their site :wink:

Give Steve a call, he's very helpful. Also, if you dont like digifant lag (who does) then i'd be glad to advise you on our patented No Lag © maps :)

SNS UK: 07779 273 403

Dubcharged, you havent seriously patented these chips have you?

I only ask because I dont believe it is possible.

We have copyrighted the No Lag feature since its a very significant step in Digifant mapping. We wouldn't want anyone to steal our code now would we? :x