Sign in to follow this  
dcuk

Engine cuts out when steering turns..

Hi,

Wondering if anyone could help me. Ive got a 1990 1.8 16v and have an intermittent fault.

Its only happened twice so far but its baffling and annoying. The engine cuts out for no reason while steering is turned. First time this happened, i was doing a 3 point turn and it went dead. It started up again and everything was fine for a month, until the other day, as i was turning into a road the engine cut out in the same manner, but as before started up fine.

The car runs perfect in every other way, and i cant think of whats causing it?

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers!

Check under the gear stick surround and see if you have a mechanical immobiliser under there. If so it's possible that when you turn the wheel it interferes with the wiring and cuts your engine.

Cheers,

Tom

I am with Bill I am afraid Tom. :lol:

The ISV might not be working? I would check the tickover speed by disconnecting the red/black wire by the coil on the bulkhead. The tickover should be nice and even with the wire disconnected.

Be prepared for the engine to stall. If it does, wind the tickover screw out a turn and start the car again.

Reconnect the wire after you are happy with the tickover speed.

Gavin

I am with Bill I am afraid Tom. :lol:

TBH so am I :) but I thought I leave the idling recommendations to the experts though :lol: I just remember the amount of time spent trying to work out why my engine cut out when I put the clutch in... :oops: