Sign in to follow this  
andy.b

Engine Over-Heating URGENT HELP

Hello people, my car engine 2.9VR6 has started to over heat for the past 2weeks now. when i am cruising around town the water temp gauge stays at 90 degrees, but when i thrash my car about it goes towards 100 degrees and does not go back down.

when i first got the car 11 months ago up untill 2 weeks ago it ran bang on 90 degrees even when i thrashed it.

i have had a genuine new radiator, fan, fan sensor and i have also had my water pumps checked out by VW. when i first got the car i replaced my thermostat "could my thermostat be the problem?

please help

Doubt it as your round town temps are OK. Personally I wouldn't worry as long as you have stable temps and it's obviously not overheating, ie climbing off the scale. Mine will often run 90 to 100, or a bit higher depending on weather and driving.

mine runs between 90 and 110, i've seen it hit 150 when I've been thrashing it on a motorway... i dont think you've got anything to worry about if the temp is at 90-100.

I think he's talking about the oil, which got up to 136+ when trying to keep up with ChrisVR6NOS on the motorway, so you can guess he wasn't in double figures :lol:

If you see 150 on the water, you've got SERIOUS problems.

yup you're right kev, 'trying' to keep up is about right :lol:

sorry, yes that was the oil... didnt read the first post correctly

andy.b, you've deffo got a problem there as it wasn't doing it until 2 weeks ago, I'd check the cooling system for leaks, maybe change the expansion tank cap anyways...

Is your fan definetly working / coming on?? - water temp should only rise to 100c after sitting in traffic for 10 mins.

Could also be the sensor for the gauge?

LOL....what till he's Stage 2'd it and H8RRA gets his chip in and you'll be nobby no mates trailing at the rear indefinitely!