Sign in to follow this  
funky

2l g6o

does anyone know anything about g60 2 litre conversions looking at prices and they seem quite good have heard horror stories about head gasket probs though

tia

funky

are you talking about TSR ?? As the best place for you is TSR right on your doorstep, i have known them to do good work there in the past,, but not too sure now as i have being told the guy who owned it in the pass has sold it on... :cry:

yeah was thinking tsr or buying the parts and using a local engineering firm that use to do the work for tsr.

to say the least tsr are a little pricey and it surprises me how highly he is thought of in mags because ive never heard anything good about him locally in fact quite the opposite

not what ive heard but as ive never had anything done there i cant really say

but he has got 2 litre g60 short engines for £1350 + vat i think

seems a good deal just wondered if i could source the parts cheaper and what other things would need doing

he has got 2 litre g60 short engines for £1350 + vat i think seems a good deal just wondered if i could source the parts cheaper and what other things would need doing

The engine you are describing is not nice.... DO NOT BUY ONE!

Their 2litre is based around a new van 2L engine and has a stupidly long stroke better suited to a diesel than a free revving G60 sports engine... It's been described to me as "like driving a giant vibrator" :shock: This is why they hold the exact spec as a secret... I'm sorry, but if I'm spending £1500+ on an engine, I want to know what the stroke, bore and base block for the engine are before I pay out any money... If they won't tell you, walk away! :?

I've been looking into a 2 litre conversion for my 200K+ G60 for a while now and have pretty much looked at most of 'em that are available...

IMHO the Stealth one is the one to go for, they overbore the original block and fit a custom forged crank, rods and pistons which takes it up to 2litres... The parts are all American (I forget the make, but it's a good one that I'd heard of before!) and they are very honest about what it is and what it's like... They just quoted me £3K for the short block with a stage 2 head, or £3.5K fitted based around my original block... :D Time to start saving heavily I think... Or maybe going more into debit! :lol: :roll:

My 2L 16VG60 is built on a bored out G60 block and specific pistons with G60 rods. I can vouch for this as a way to go, and as for revs and ballance it's all there. These sort of mods need to be complimetary not regressive, i agree with the comments made regarding spec details. One needs to know what spec an engine is to become, although i could understand a supplier witholding the exact source of some parts for business reasons. With regard to TSR i have had close links with this company for some years and personally have always known them to be of sound integrity. Tim did stand down this year as MD, but his replacement Graham has worked as Tim's right hand man throughout much of the trading time of TSR. Graham is a mind of information and will i am sure continue the good name of this company. If any of you guys have an issue with TSR, or are unsure of their ability phone them up ask for Graham and he will be only too happy to help. Let's not right off a tuning house with rumour, after all they have survived for a long time in an extremely competitive market, and that is not achieved with poor product.

im looking into carrying out a simular conversion to this on a spare bottom end my freind will sell me.. know what pistons are favorates for use now ? i know it used to be J.E ones but know i have heard psd are doing some and judging buy the other work im sure will be superb!! please help guys! john "16vg60" what pistons would you recomend me to be using or any one else for that matter ..

thanx Q.

A close friend of mine bought a whole car off Tim Stiles - a mk1 hill climber on the famous 'OKU' plate. -this thing was mental, - 2.1, quaife box, lightened balanced flywheel e.t.c. - crazy car. Anyway, he obviously had a lot of dealings with the company and said that in his opinions some of the mechanics were slightly iffy. - in taking his car apart at a later date he found wires pretty much held in with chewing gum e.t.c. - perhaps this is where any negative 'rumours' stem from....However, he couldn't speak highly enough of Tim, and i delbt with him last year getting my manifold when he was very helpful. Still, you do pay for quality..... :p

We have seen quite a few G60 Corrado's/Golf's in the last few months which have not been responding as well as they should to modifacations. On further investigation we have made the connection of a trend. A well set up car which are down on power is 9/10 due to low engine compression due to worn rings and/or block.

Since the tail end of last year we have had more and more enquiries from customers looking to have, or components for a engine rebuild.

After looking at various options at the different routes that can be taken we have opted to go down the route of oversized forged pistons, bored block to create a 1.9 bottom end. The standerd G60 configuration is tried and tested, the options avaliable to squeeze magical 2000cc out all seem to kick up a host of complicatons, possible flaws in reliability with the components having to be used to achive the 2000cc etc etc. We are using a higher compression ratio over standerd to try and achive a more 'perkie' engine when the car is off boost. With this configuration the increased mechanical power from the upped compression ratio combined with the gains in torque from the larger cc creates a engine which is less dependent on boost, hopfully a 68mm pulley will provide more than ample boost for the engine to make productive use of. Gone are the days of looking to feed the car with copius amounts of boost, overworking the charger, to achieve high power figures. The forged pistions can withstand a lot more abuse over the standerd units so will be caperble of withstnding the strains of the higher compression ratio.

We are working hand in hand with Darren from G-Werks with this project who will be providing some very interesting ideas to feed the top end of the engine :D and fabricating componets to complement the conversion.

Bilal from SNS will be providing the necessary tweaks for the managment system to produce a chip with altered fueling/ignition to keep things sweet.

From the financial perspective the oversized 1.9 gives you the the most BHP/££. The plan is to acheive a sencsibly priced packaged to bring back to life those tired engines and let the breed live on in a improved but not too aduterated form. The Forged pistons alone will work out at £600 inc vat and rings. I'm going to see the chap who has designed the pistions for us tomorrow, we are going to discuss plans for a uprated head gasket and possible use of uprated rods for those who whish to take things a step further.

The a test bottom end will be fired up in a car in the matter of the next couple of weeks so then the theory should translate into reality.

Please excuse the long reply, there has been months of homework going on behind the scenes with this project and now seemed a apt time to discuss the future plans.

Myself, Darren, Liam and Bilal have very tried to look at all aspects of things to get the conversion going 1st time without too many complications.

Blimey, so a real A-TEAM effort going on eh guys??? - ( I love it when a plan comes together...) - Sounds quality. Any ideas on how long it'll be till this is up, running and regularly available, and will it be done at Darren's new premises?

Yes, between us the colabration of Pitstop, G-werks and SNS (A-team if you prefer) will be able to come up with the package quite quickly. Between us we have the skills and the knoledge to get the project executed swiftly. We have a the 1st prototype run of all the components needed for the conversion. Fingers crossed, all going well we will have a engine in the test mule car in the next month and will take it from there. Obviously we will a test engine for a few thousend miles so any conceiverble problems will become apprent on our own car rather than using paying customers as guini pigs. To give a definitive time scale on this would be misleading. We would like to think that a conversion would done on a customers car by late on this year. The final assembly of the engines will most proberbly take place at Darrens new favorite hangout LOL, as there is plenty of space to work comfortably there.

i would prefer "g-team!" lol yes the final build will take place at g-werks as its getting kitted out at the moment..

also we forgot to tell you that we are also going to offer this conv as a x-flow aswell to those who want the ultimate in g60 power!!

[Drum roll]

In 2003 a G-Lader commando unit were hounded by problems from the VW standard design that they did not commit. These men promptly solved these problems in a way no one thought possible and are now underground.

Today still wanted by VW and other tuners, they survive as soldiers of performance.

If your G60 has a problem........

If no one else can help.........

And if you can find them........

Maybe you can hire.............

THE G TEAM!!!

8) 8) 8) 8)

More to the point who's going to be the crazy one who gates slapped about by B A ha ha :lol:

Strange banter going on with you g60 lot :wink:

[Drum roll]

In 2003 a G-Lader commando unit were hounded by problems from the VW standard design that they did not commit. These men promptly solved these problems in a way no one thought possible and are now underground.

Today still wanted by VW and other tuners, they survive as soldiers of performance.

If your G60 has a problem........

If no one else can help.........

And if you can find them........

Maybe you can hire.............

THE G TEAM!!!

8) 8) 8) 8)

When's the single gonna get released guys - recon you'd get into the charts with that one............ :lol:

as an entire side from this thread which seems to have become a blatant advertisement, (not that thats a bad thing, that sounds like a shit hot project and I wish my oettinger g60 were the guinea pig, think what that'd be putting out!!!)

theres a guy on http://g60power.com (dont fix this url mods) ((plug!))

that s called geesixty and hes got a 2l g60.

Henny, remember him from inters?

his was done by VW at source so maybe he'll be able to answer some questions for the DIT'ers amongst you.

Matt

i would prefer "g-team!" lol yes the final build will take place at g-werks as its getting kitted out at the moment..

also we forgot to tell you that we are also going to offer this conv as a x-flow aswell to those who want the ultimate in g60 power!!

Be interesting to see what kind of BHP & torque you guys can achieve. I expect you'll be changing the intercooler & modifying the 'charger ??

obviouslly gonna be running somthing special in the charger dept ! :lol: and a big front intercooler will do for cooling for now!

I wish my oettinger g60 were the guinea pig, think what that'd be putting out!!!)

hello dubwhizz im also on tims forum too ! what sort of power is your g60 putting out in std oettinger form then sound a very intresting car ! wanna swap? :lol:

The Stealth Racing 2.0 conversion uses an EIP Racing (from US) forged crank, Ross pistons, shot peened rods etc. I know because my mate had just built one - he sourced the parts and Stealth put the engine together. It's in a Mk1 Golf, and also has a custom Rallye-spec i/c, R1 G-lader (brand new!), Eurospec ported head, Shrick cams..........still running it in, only done 1200 miles on it, but after final setup Vince reckons should be a reliable 260bhp!!

Oh, and it's his daily driver!!!

Beavis> Steve, it;s the silver Mk1 at the Poachers Pocket meets. 8)