Sign in to follow this  
pacificshack

Infinity Kappa 50.5 in door mounts

Hi there, Just treated myself today to a new stereo for the girl. Bought this:

Inifnity Kappa 50.5 for the doors

Alpine CGA 9851 new head unit

Alpine 420i iPod

Am about to start with the speakers first. I have a 1990 1.8 16v. What's the best way to mount the speakers in the doors? Do I have to take the door cards off and mount them from behind?

There are no speakers in there at the moment. I'll need to wire up through the door and put the tweaters in the dash, is this an easy job to do?

Finally i need to find a good place to hide the iPod unit - any good ideas on this?

Thanks

Ian

I suppose the alpine thing that the ipod plugs into could go anywhere, maybe in the glove box, or on one of the shelves......with the alpine, you can access the ipod via the headunit, so you dont have to have it out on show. Unfortunately, I dont have one of those, so I use an FM transmitter, so have to be able to get at the ipod to access it.......I use the belkin ipod holder, see link below. It has a belt clip thing on the back, and if you prise it open a little more I have found that this slides over the door for the ashtray, which has a gap in the middle on the back of the door, so that the clip just slides on, meaning that when you push the ashtray closed, you have your ipod sat in just the right spot to use, and very secure, you then tuck the front of the case into the space under the headunit. sorry no pics at present of ipod in place in me c.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductP ... _Id=156257

as for wiring up the speakers, as far as I know the early valvers didnt have wires down into the doors (mine didnt), so you'll need to run some from the headunit to your cross-overs, through the dash, through the rubber wire-tunnel where the door hinges and down to where the speakers will be.

Dead easy, just whip the dash undertrays out and run the wires through! theres plenty of space under the glovebox for a crossover, and probably enough room somewhere on the other side to hide one, although I've never fitted componants before. Getting wires up to the tweeter positions might be fiddly, a length of stiff wire will help (wire coathanger or such).

The speakers themselves will mount onto the backs of the doorcards, so yes you'll have to take them off, again an easy job which has been covered in other threads... search time! ;)

Thanks for your help on this one. Have been busy but am going to tackle it this weekend. I have the original door pods in the car, but one of the grills is missing. Any idea where I can get one from? I only have the plastic bit which pops out and that has a crack. I'm guessing some heavy handed punter tried to give it a go once upon a time and didn't get far.

Thanks

Grilles - ask on here cos I don't think the stealers do them any more...

Mounting speakers - yes, they fit onto the pins on the back of the pod - hopefully you'll have some nuts that cut into the plastic lugs to hold them in place, but you'll need some rubber washer things to space the speaker back from the front of the pod, otherwise they'll hit it and distort.

And as for the driver's side crossover - underneath the footrest on the right-hand side ;)

Good luck, it's fiddly getting the wires up to the tweeters, but it'll sound good when you've done it :)

careful with the pins thou.. they snap quite easily! fortunatly when they come off they leave a little hole which you can put a screw into to hold the speaker steady.

dinkus is right, early grilles have been discontinued, later ones are still availible at £25 a side!!

Chris VR6nos, ooh that would mean travelling to the post office ,during the journey i could crash and lose my ncb which would cost me more than £100 , so i'm saving money by leaving them in the garage me thinks ;-)