Sign in to follow this  
Rams

Radiator top hose under lots of pressure!

My top hose was felt by a mate / engineer who said it feels like its under too much pressure and told me to run the car with the engine off and get the air out of the system.

I did this last night, at first it was giving off small but regular air bubbles untill it started to look like a water fountain then I switched off and let it cool and added the G12 coolant and some water. The house noe feels much softer and I dont know weather its me but the car feels much prouder on the road, I say proud, but I mean relaxed, the engine feels more comfortable and a bit quicker.

Did I do this properly?

I had a new thermostate fitted when the head gaket was done and new coolant etc. Im sure what I have done was correct but always like to get a second opinion from a fellow C owner.

I always take cap off, run up to full temp with heater on full heat and fan on full blast...

Does job for me...

also rams was it G-12+ coolant that was used after the head gasket work?........reason i ask is that if your VR had G-11 coolant prior to getting the head gasket work did the garage make sure that they COMPLETELY flush out all of the existing coolant(G-11)as G-11 and G-12 can not be mixed as it forms a gel-like gunge which can block waterways :shock: .......confusingly enough tho its totally safe to mix the G-12+ with either G-11 or G-12 :? :? :wink:

Scott, , when you say, full heat, I did try that and it took longer to heat up, I then turned the fan off and then turned the fan to cold, full whack., Did I make a mistake there?

vr6storm,

Thanks for that, the previous coolant was flushed completely through. I like the pink colour that you see on the expansion tank, well it looks better than green!

Rams- normaly start with a cold engine, and coolant on the max level, start car and turn heater on to hot. keep an eye on the temp and level (top up as needed) when the car gets to normal operating temp (and there is no excessive air bubbles) replace the cap, keep running all the time and check the fan cuts in and out and the temp doesnt rise too high. once the car has cooled just double check the level and top as required. :D