andy.b

Coolong Fan on my VR6 - stage 1 not working

Stage 1 on my cooling fan is not working, i have been told stage 1 of the fan is at 90-92 degrees "water temp". this was working properly 2 months ago and now my engine is over-heating.

i have replaced with genuine new VW parts:

Radiator

Fan

Water housing

Thermostat

Coolant

Two stage fan sensor "bottom of rad"

stage 2 works fine 100-103 degrees it comes on.

are there any fuse relays that make this work?

Have you checked the fuses?

That "thing" that sticks up in the engine bay above the gearbox is the fan controller. It could be karputt but just check the fuses in the clear plastic covered area on the engine side.

The thing that sticks up in the engine bay is the relay and fuse board for the fans. They draw a LOT of current on the VR, especially on speed 3 which kicks in at 120 deg. Check the size of the 'screw down' fuse!

The 'controllers' for the speeds are:-

Speeds 1 and 2 - two way rad fan switch, bottom of the radiator.

Speed 3 - Black sender in stat housing.

what do you meen by check the 'screw down' fuse? is that the one above the gearbox in the engine bay?

i have replaced Speeds 1 and 2 - two way rad fan switch, bottom of the radiator.

the switch in the bottom of the radiator! it screw in doesnt it? and it has three pins on it yep?

if so i have replaced that one!

thanks for your help

what do you meen by check the 'screw down' fuse? is that the one above the gearbox in the engine bay?

In the clear plastic covered area, there is a fuse that looks like small metal plate, that one. There is a small screw at each end holding it in place.

Not to alarm you, but get this sorted out as a priority. The VR6 fan is a horrible bit of design - three live feeds and one earth, with two different value resistors to drop the current for the two lower speeds (the top speed is just 12V straight off the battery with no resistor). If the resistor pack fails then the result can be fairly exciting - because if it goes short then the fan will catch fire. Mine did this twice!

The simplest way to check the two lowest speeds is to pull the connector off the back of the switch in the radiator (low down on the passenger side). It has three pins; bridging the brown wire to either of the two coloured wires will activate fan speeds 1 or 2. If they work from the connector then your rad switch is broken - a nice simple

A pair of nice aftermarket fans (I recommend Spal) would be a much improved solution, though.

Nick