Sign in to follow this  
RS VR6

For the guys that are thinking of a solid front mount

Now I have to proof that the engine mount caused it...but its something you should be aware of. I myself have all the VF mounts in my car...so its just making me think.

I imagine the solid mounts would make it worse. They take up no vibration or any of the shock from the engine movement. All that shock and vibration has to go somewhere...guess where it went.

The VW engineers designed the soft squishy mounts for a reason besides comfort.

scirocco_oics_018.sized.jpg

hmm that mount isnt a solid one is it? do you mean uprated mounts? guys that are pro solid mounts feel that the cross member's rubber mounting is enough.

Thats not the solid one. The poly on top is to suck up some vibration during idle and give it some play during hard acceleration.

Under hard acceleration, the engine wants to pull up. The solid mount eliminates that movement...so it gets transferred to another point on the crossmember.

Like I said...I have no proof that the engine mount caused it...but you never know.

Under hard acceleration, the engine wants to pull up. The solid mount eliminates that movement...so it gets transferred to another point on the crossmember.

and i suppose the bushes the crossmember sits on cant realy cope with this? thats worrying seeing as ive just brought a solid front mount! oh well ill se what happens!

I guess it depends on the power of the car also. That crossmember came out of a 3.0l VR6.

Who knows...maybe its was cracked before the mount went in.

I'm not trying to scare the crap out of people...its just something to be aware of. :wink:

I'm not trying to scare the crap out of people...its just something to be aware of

no good job too at least people will check theirs from tim to time.

Surely if its cracked on the top it would suggest that the load was downwards, not upwards (the way the engine pulls)?

Certainly something to keep an eye on though.

Jay

Oettinger SLC, what happened? Nothing to serious I hope?

Lippy

Its not my car. My friend found it on a Corrado he's parting.

what am i supposed to be looking at here? sorry for being dumb....

Cross-member is split/cracked where the bushes are inserted. :wink:

Surely if its cracked on the top it would suggest that the load was downwards, not upwards (the way the engine pulls)?

Certainly something to keep an eye on though.

Jay

The engine mounts are subject to forces in all directions. Basically the three engine mounts "suspend" the motor in the bay. The motor mounts need to have some kind of play in order to not put undue stress on the other parts of the engine. If your going to run a solid mount type...the "play" is going to be gone and the stress or shock from the engine wanting to move is going to be placed elsewhere.

Like I said before...I have no proof that the VF mount caused the stress crack. Just something to be aware of.

Its really making me think twice about my engine mounts.

the trick is that if you change to a solid front mount, make sure you change the rubber bushes which hold the cross member in place for new genuine ones... makes one hell of a difference... 8)

Or better still, Powerflex ones....

Oettinger SLC is right though, take away the engine's natural desire to move and something else will move on it's behalf.....just not always immediately.

This is why I harp on about Vibratechnics....they're rubber, they're refined, AND they reduce engine movement, not stop it completely. Vibratechnic's slogan is "Compliance technology" and they'd never sell a lump of metal masquerading as an engine mount without proper testing. VT have been in the game for several years are still successful...... many others have come and gone in that time.

where the rear mounts also uprated poly mounts?

if not would'nt that cause the front cross member to twist more under hard acceleration?

i have some photos to post up later of my front engine-to-mount bracket which i recenly discovered had broken apart and was being held together by a 1 cm spot of weld and i have standard mounts, so thats another thing to check