Kevin Bacon

The Forced Induction VR6 thread

You can also try Bosch F5DPOR, which is the factory fit Audi S2 plug. It's a side fire design like the G60 plug and works REALLY well in VR6 turbos. The dealer supplied ones are Platinum tipped and gold plated HT ends, so last well. I've done 1000s of miles on them. Always starts on the button and runs super smooth :D

Sorry to have mentioned that if you've already bought 1.8T plugs!

I've seen / used pattern S2 and 1.8T plugs (GSF supplied) and they're just not the same quality as OE.

Thanks for this Kev will see where I can get a set from, not got round to buying any NGK's yet luckily :)

Is the heat range anything I need worry about? 9 quid each they better run smoothly! :D

Hey fella. I got mine from my local Audi dealer mate and the heat range is absolutely fine for a turbo VR. They weren't cheap mind! I personally wouldn't use GSF grade ones, but it's up to you :D

In the interests of science, I did a little experiment. Dealer 1.8T plugs removed last night and Dealer S2 plugs (F5DPOR) put in. Absolutely no other changes, just the plugs.

Cold starting - S2 better, as in quicker start.

Warm up idle quality - About the same.

Hot idle quality - S2 slightly smoother.

Cruise - About the same.

In boost - S2 a lot better! Engine felt more perky for sure :D

The 1.8Ts were all a nice tan colour across all 6, so I know the map is c0ck on.

So there you have it. I usually tell you guys that 'plugs are plugs' but the S2 ones do seem better. Stands to reason really if you consider the G60 plug is the same design and is used in a 2 valve head. When you turbo a VR6, you have exactly the same scenario :D F5DP0R is also very popular with the high power 1.8T, RS4 and UR Quattro boys too, so it's seems like a very versatile plug.

And whilst I'm in here, I'm extremely tempted by Borg Warner's new EFR turbo....

http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/technica ... fr-turbos/

It looks amazing! Titanium turbine wheel, Billet compressor wheel, stainless steel turbine housing, internal wastegate, built in dump valve!, built in N75 boost control valve! and built in shaft speed sensor.

The titanium and billet wheels are half the weight of a Garrett equivalent, so spool up is improved.

I'm thinking all that in one package will simplify my install very nicely :D

Not cheap though :? The 7670 I'm looking at (375-600hp, GT35R equiv) is around $2000, but it's a Borg Warner, so the quality is at the top of the pile. OE supplier to VAG :D

And whilst I'm in here, I'm extremely tempted by Borg Warner's new EFR turbo....

Can I have your 35R then mate? :lol:

Can I have your 35R then mate? :lol:

LOL, you were just about ready to jack the Corrado in in the S3 v 4Mo thread not so long ago :lol:

Yeah, you can indeed have the 35R if I go Borgy Worgy :D

Need to find out some pricing info and see if one will bolt on without having to redo all my exhaust plumbing first....

LOL, you were just about ready to jack the Corrado in in the S3 v 4Mo thread not so long ago :lol:

Yeah, you can indeed have the 35R if I go Borgy Worgy :D

Need to find out some pricing info and see if one will bolt on without having to redo all my exhaust plumbing first....

Yeah I've thrown the idea around and nobody wants the damn thing so no chance of a new car at the moment! :lol:

Plus DG have sorted the running issues I was having so I'm kind of enjoying it again...... if I can sort the rubbing issues that is....

So I guess I might as well chuck a few more dollars at it since I'm stuck with it..... :grin:

Ah nice one! It ran nicely as it was, so it must be really sweet now? Did you find / fix the exhaust leak?

Well I'm relying on your to figure out the 24V T process for me, so defo go ahead and sprinkle necessary dollars over it ;)

Ah nice one! It ran nicely as it was, so it must be really sweet now? Did you find / fix the exhaust leak?

Well I'm relying on your to figure out the 24V T process for me, so defo go ahead and sprinkle necessary dollars over it ;)

Turns out the MAF had gone pop so a new unit and its running even better, I'll have to pop down so you can have another go.

Exhaust also sorted. Had a go at it myself but without a drive I wasn't successful. Graham got it on the ramps and sorted in double quick time.

Don't think my C will be going anywhere, its like a member of the family.... even Amy wants us to keep it! :lol: just need to actually finish my plans now....

Turns out the MAF had gone pop so a new unit and its running even better, I'll have to pop down so you can have another go.

Exhaust also sorted. Had a go at it myself but without a drive I wasn't successful. Graham got it on the ramps and sorted in double quick time.

Don't think my C will be going anywhere, its like a member of the family.... even Amy wants us to keep it! :lol: just need to actually finish my plans now....

hooray! :clap:

glad to hear you're perservering with it pal - i would love to have a spin in yours to see how different it is from my old R32 conversion.

i think it would be a shame to get rid of your hard work now, and seeing as yours mrs etc are in full support, then why the hell not?!?

even though i bought the M5 and said i wouldn't change it, some brembos are still finding their way onto it shortly!

i now think unless you're buying a ferrari, you're pretty much guaranteed to find somehting you don't like about a car and want to change it. if my engine ever goes pop then i'll definitely be rebuilding it with different cylinder heads and new cams and DEFINITELY different exhaust manifolds and cats. just by doing that little lot twinned with a remap and a slight increase in rev limit and i should be seeing a reliable 450-480bhp (probably a bit more if i'm honest)without any dramas and still maintain the completely OEM drivability, cold start etc etc without having to even think about standalone.

THAT SAID, THAT'S ONLY GOING TO HAPPEN IF THE ENGINE DOES GO POP OR I FIND A VERY CHEAP ONE GOING ON EBAY - (just thought i would caveat that for all those reading!)

any chance you can fit air-con on your car - that's the one thing i really wanted on my corrado...

Yeah I'm sticking with it at the moment. I'd love something newer, and RWD or 4WD but the reality is I'm doing 5K miles a year and spending £10K to get something interesting just to have it sat outside the house is a bit stupid. The great thing about the C is the fact it's not really costing me anything. Yes I keep spending money on it but I could just leave it now and it only costs me £100 a month in tax, fuel and Insurance. I'd have to get a loan to get something else as my car is (at very best) worth say £5k with the fancy bits so I'd be paying all that extra just to have something only a little different.

You're always welcome to have run in it mate, I'll have to sort a time/place when we can meet up. It's no quicker really than a standard VR but it's much smoother and the torque comes in stronger/earlier so it feels nippier than the 12v.

Not really bothered about air-con, plus space is a little tight in the front now as the 24v has to be leaned forward in fitting so it doesn't foul the bonnet.

Glad to see you're still enjoying the M5, no chance of heading back into a C....... the lure of the Turbo thread maybe?

The great thing about the C is the fact it's not really costing me anything. Yes I keep spending money on it but I could just leave it now and it only costs me £100 a month in tax, fuel and Insurance. I'd have to get a loan to get something else as my car is (at very best) worth say £5k with the fancy bits so I'd be paying all that extra just to have something only a little different.

Same situation here mate. Instead of taking a loan out, I could save £500 a month for 2 years and get something pretty good, but with a house in need of decorating, that ain't gonna happen! Just a bog and some tiles for the bathroom cost me a frickin grand :bad-words:

I think you should turbo the C mate. If you hold off on sourcing the parts, I think we should look at getting one of those Borg Warners. You won't need to buy a Wastegate or dump valve, saving you about £500 if you were going to buy Tial ones. Spoke to Bill schimmel about them (seen his new site btw? looks v nice) and he's keen to try them too.

Glad to see you're still enjoying the M5, no chance of heading back into a C....... the lure of the Turbo thread maybe?

I reckon he should stick an LS2 V8 in that 5 and turbo it :D not sure what the engine bay space is like though! but then again, the 7 litre one just needs cams and headers and you get an easy 500 horse and 500 torques.

Kev what is your sensible driving mpg like? I'm imagining it's better than the stock VR but i would think it also depends on things like when the turbo comes on etc etc.

Kev what is your sensible driving mpg like? I'm imagining it's better than the stock VR but i would think it also depends on things like when the turbo comes on etc etc.

Dunno mate, I've never checked no boost mpg :D It averages 27mpg, including boosting. Not bad considering my cruise speed is 85-90mph and I have the shorter final drive.

My old S/C VR6 lump was nowhere near that economical.

But yeah, it would be in the 30s easily with no boost....

ok i'm being lazy as cant be bothered to use the search lol, but how much did/are stealth charging for

a, stage 1 turbo conversion (and what is included)

b, stage 2 turbo conversion (and what is included)

i think another corrado is on the cards :lol:

Bored of the TT already Karl?!

4.4k for basic stage 1 fitted + 800ish for uprated clutch and fuel pump. Should see 330-360ish bhp depending on what else you have (cams,exhaust size, MAF type)

Same situation here mate. Instead of taking a loan out, I could save £500 a month for 2 years and get something pretty good, but with a house in need of decorating, that ain't gonna happen! Just a bog and some tiles for the bathroom cost me a frickin grand :bad-words:

I think you should turbo the C mate. If you hold off on sourcing the parts, I think we should look at getting one of those Borg Warners. You won't need to buy a Wastegate or dump valve, saving you about £500 if you were going to buy Tial ones. Spoke to Bill schimmel about them (seen his new site btw? looks v nice) and he's keen to try them too.

Tell me about it mate, all I seem to spend money on these days is house stuff. At least that's all done now, must get on with the car savings now! :lol:

I think I should turbo the C as well. I mean i've spent so much on the thing in the past 6 months by doing the 24v conversion, the AP racing brakes and the new wheels that I'd literally be chucking money down the 'bog' (to quote yourself) if I sold it for what someone is realistically going to pay for it. Plus i've been driving it loads the last few days and I do love the thing... It'd kill me to see someone else driving Mincy.

So turbo it is. At $2000 those Borg's don't look a bad idea. If you go down the Garrett route you're saying $1300 on turbo, $400 on wastegate, $150 on a Recirc value so $1850 before you've thought about plumbing the lot together. Any idea's when they'll be on general sale?

Just going to have a look at Bill's new site. It's been down for ages, but everytime I pop on there is more stuff. Was hoping to see some of his 24v Cams.

I'm currently in exactly the same situation Mic, going in for the Stealth turbo in the next month and my eye had been wandering to whole cars for not much more money.

But then I'd be wasting the ££££s I've spent and 12 months hard work getting to the position I'm in now. It makes more sense to finish ehat I've started and I know I'll have a unique, very powerful car that's had about 90% of the parts replaced!

See Im having opposite thoughts again. Maybe if I had done most of the work on the car Id think differently but I just feel like I have no where to go with the car. Theres not really anything left to do on it.

See Im having opposite thoughts again. Maybe if I had done most of the work on the car Id think differently but I just feel like I have no where to go with the car. Theres not really anything left to do on it.

Yeah I can well imagine, it was such a sorted car when you bought it, it must be hard to know where to go, I guess that's ultimately why James sold it so quickly after building it.

So turbo it is. At $2000 those Borg's don't look a bad idea. If you go down the Garrett route you're saying $1300 on turbo, $400 on wastegate, $150 on a Recirc value so $1850 before you've thought about plumbing the lot together. Any idea's when they'll be on general sale?

Just going to have a look at Bill's new site. It's been down for ages, but everytime I pop on there is more stuff. Was hoping to see some of his 24v Cams.

Bill's got loads more stuff to upload to his new site as yet mate. Should be plenty of 24V stuff appearing soon :D I've asked Bill if he's going to stock the Borg Warners and I should be able to negotiate a good price on two 7076s, posted to your contact in the states perhaps? :norty:

The Borgs are so sale now mate 8)

How are folks getting round the standard inlet manifold when increasing the boost on the 24v models? I wouldnt like to use the plastic manifold knowing how much it flexes as standard.

How are folks getting round the standard inlet manifold when increasing the boost on the 24v models? I wouldnt like to use the plastic manifold knowing how much it flexes as standard.

It's definitely an issue, one which Kev and I have chewed th fat over and it's something we'd both look at if going FI on a 24v.

JBS sell their turbo kits using the standard manifolds up to about 12 psi so they must be able to take the pressure http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/content/29/32-24v-v6-turbo-kits but I wouldn't want to say how long they're going to last.

Space in the engine bay to fit a Short runner is the biggest problem with the corrado as th rad is so much closer to the engine.

Bill's got loads more stuff to upload to his new site as yet mate. Should be plenty of 24V stuff appearing soon :D I've asked Bill if he's going to stock the Borg Warners and I should be able to negotiate a good price on two 7076s, posted to your contact in the states perhaps? :norty:

The Borgs are so sale now mate 8)

I'm up for that. I'll have a word with my friend, I'm sure it'll be fine to go through him but always worth the question.