Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

Alternator Diodes

I'm now on the second serviceable Alternator in my C, as the last one (which replaced the one before it) gave up the ghost after a couple of weeks.

The problem with this one is (and the last one) that the lights are/were pulsing when the engine is running.

Everything is pointing at the alt, but Ive since heard that there is a diode pack which regulates the ac voltage. True?

If so, is it an add on, or a part of the alt?

If its an add on, where can I get one?

How much?

Does anyone have a part number? Or better still a spare diode pack :D

Cheers

Stan 8)

Yep, the diode pack (aka bridge - 4 diodes connected together with a voltage regulator converts AC to DC) is part of the Alternator, usually on or around the bit where you connect the battery lead to usually.

I've heard from a reputable Auto electrician that the bosch/Valeo Alts used in the VR are not cost effective to repair and you're better off getting an exchange from the dealer, which is about £75 for a 70A job. Bear in mind dealer exchanges don't come with the pulley fitted, so it will need to be removed from the old one and refitted.

Unusual to kill an alternator so quickly.... there might be some underlying cause as to why, which may need some investigation by an auto sparky....

Kev

The first one was dead when I bought the car the other month, so it got changed. The lights were pulsing on the new one though. This went back to the crappy garage to sort it, and they replaced it, under warranty.

This one does the same though. Should I just get another one under warranty?

Assuming the rest of the car's electrics are OK, then I'd get them to run a diagnostic check on the Alternator and swap it out again if it's fecked.