Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

Crankshaft oil seal

Mine needs replacing apparently. I've got the new seal here, but does anyone know how much I can expect to pay to get it replaced (i.e. number of hours) is it pretty simple, or am I gonna want to find a chair before they bring me the bill?

Dinkus, I've got a small drip on garage floor after car has been standing. I'm told it's ok to not fix it right away tho, but things will get worse eg oil on clutch. Give us time to save for gearbox, clutch and flywheel job I suppose!

To change that its effectively a clutch change to get access to it (remove gearbox, clutch / flywheel). Think 4 hours is about the going rate. Mine is leaking abit too but not overly worried, burns more oil than it's leaking and the clutch is ok.

Which end Dinkum? If clutch end, what /\ says, if airbox end, then I think you just whip the crank pulley off and the seal casing unbolts.

I seriously hope it's the airbox end as the clutch/timing chains were replaced a couple of years ago :?

I only know it's leaking becuse there's an old service report that says it's leaking, so I'd guess they wouldn't have seen it if it was on the clutch end?

Have you actually seen a leak though? Some people mistake a sweating sump gasket for a leaking crank seal.

Look around the crank pulley for oil (that isn't coming from a leaking sump gasket) and also drop the little crescent shaped fylwheel cover (2 x 11mm bolts) and see if there's oil coming from there too.

The flywheel will prevent any oil getting on your clutch, so don't worry about that, but that is the expensive end to start replacing seals though :?

I'd say if either end isn't p1ssing oil out and the dipstick level isn't dropping like a brick, put it off until something else needs doing in there.

I'll have a look this evening then...

I haven't driven her for over 2 weeks now, the Golf is starting to feel normal again! :?

I might take the long route to the SE meet on Sunday :D

I'm trying to get rid of the Golf, but while I've got it I might as well drive it and make use of the cheaper insurance/petrol! :lol:

Hmm good point, I should slap an ad up on here too...