Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

Guess what I just raced.... =-D

Ok, soI was heading home in the morning from a night at my G/f's house and what do I come to see but a black nissan 350z. So I give a thought to his weight to power ratio and figure on a value of about 11 lbs per hp, the correct value being 11.1 lbs per hp. I sit there as he is 3 cars back wondering if I should dare to take a chance and go for it. Well all of a sudden and opening comes along on a city street and he catches up to me.

Now This guy looks about 44 years old and brown hair, sunglasses, tall guy, mustache, medium length spikeyish hair. I think for a second and remember that when I used to work for nissan as a detailer there was a supercharged black nissan 350z that the owner midified. Well guess what, this was that black supercharged 350z, and the driver was the owner of the dealership, he even had dealer plates! So the road we are on turns into a highway, or a fastroad as you call it, well I kinda started going and then I hear this whine, oh that glorious whine, I parused for a second and wondered if I should go for it or not, I figured a hp to weight of about 9 lbs per hp now. well I said F*CK it and pounded my gas, believe it or not I caught up to him ever so slightly as we dodged around traffic for a little bit. In the end it was all about this sweeping turn, 35 mph recommended, well we were going about 80 around it, that was something to make your butt cringe let me tell you! In the end he was still ahead of me by about 2 cars but along the last straight away we kept pretty even, man it felt good, though I know that people are gonna say he wasnt trying. (before you do read below)

this guy owns a dealership that my friend worked at for 3 years, in that time my friend has seen this car twice. once in repair, and once just to clean it, mind you it also has a VERY nice carbon fiber hood with a nice bulge for the charger and so forth. well this car was reportedly dynoed at around 300 at the wheels, only 6 psi apparently. so I knew the specs ahead of time, good thing to know. I also knew that he previously about a year ago melted the pistons going 125 on the freeway, the fool didnt change the compression ratio from the stock 10.3 to 1, he also only has an aluminum block with this coating that I cant say correctly(malybneum?), the coating helps to dissapate heat but only works so well. smart for the charger, dumb for the way he used it.

all in all it was a good race, I would race him again any day.

PS. you bet your ass I called my friend who worked at the dealership right after I raced him!

yeah thats sounds very nice but what rrdo u got??? g60????? now give me that nissan v6 3.6 and s/c and see what that will do to ur g60 and think again that 44 old guy was't putting his foot well down mate!!!

sorry if im being a bit harsh on this this here but we have to be a bit reallistic man!!! 1.8g60 10 old car v new 3.6 v6 s/c uhhhhhhhmmmm????

a friend of mine has got a nissan 350z and i have to beat my vr6 hard to keep up with him trust me on this one those things shift.

now dont take this the wrong way ok i love my vr6 but we have to be honest sometimes ok, and this is only a frienly chat ok.

fast x..........

good one mate! always nice to see a rado givin powerful cars a run for their money

i gave a 700(i think) (he is a mate of mine aswell) bike a race today, i knew there was no chance in hell i would beat it but it was fun tho! he fu**ing flew past me when i was doing 110!!!

hey fast x, remember I used to work there, I know how fast they are I drove them daily, did 110 in a 35 in one and yes they do shift. Yes I have a G60, YES my G60 HAS WAY MORE POWER than your VR if you read my sig and you know a g60, you know that the setup described is good for over 200 hp, I got dynoed at 186.7 to the wheels, plus my car weighs about 400 lbs less that your VR (yes I lightened it), I could manhandle your VR if it came down to a race between us. on a stock G60, yes the car would slap the shit out of it, but when you have spent as much as I have upgrading a G60 you get a little more than stock power. Especially when your corrado weighs in at 2365 with fuel and 1 driver. Yes it was weighed correctly and it was dynoed correctly.

I know this is a friendly chat but you have to know the specs of the other peoples car before you judge. =-/

BTW he was putting his foot down. When a supercharger sounds like a gear drive on a V8, its being floored, his sounded like that. =-) my power to weight ratio is about 10 lbs per 1 hp or very close (at the crank), your stock VR is about 15 lbs per 1 hp.

NO anger at all mate, I mean none. Im just clarifying what hadnt been said.

GIXXERUK, Thank you

no anger?lol

i also find it frustrating when somebody dont beleive what a rado can do, at the end of the day g60 owners prefer their g60s and love them to bits as much as the vr boys love theirs, they all shift imo :)

It cracks me up all the talk of racing this and that.At the end of the day if you beat the other guy then you did beat him!!!

If he wasn't trying or was low on boost :roll: ,still running it in :wink: or whatever the excuse it doesn't really matter, but in all honesty do you really think the car any of us drive is as fast as we make out.

Between my 16v and my bros 02 Civic Type R there is little in it even flat out at a speedo indicated 146 for me but in reality can my car be really as fast as a 200bhp state of the art hot hatch? I think not :? and even if it was my car would certainly break down first at continued flat out pace.

Any car is only as fast as it is on the day regardless of tune or money spent.

My mates 350z is also charged and is close to 500bhp but i could beat it if the charger belt failed. :lol: If it happens i'll be there.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...raced a charged 350z and won.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i pulled up at the lights next to a diablo last night...i left it for dust.... :roll:

about a year ago melted the pistons going 125 on the freeway, the fool didnt change the compression ratio from the stock 10.3 to 1, he also only has an aluminum block with this coating that I cant say correctly(malybneum?), the coating helps to dissapate heat but only works so well. smart for the charger, dumb for the way he used it.

Sounds like a bodge job. My VR is running 8psi boost and standard 10:1 CR and I haven't melted anything yet :lol: The Z will have a much more sophisticated ECU, fuelling and ignition than the VR, so god knows what they were playing at....should be child's play....but that's what happens when you make a N/A engine FI without proper research and testing.

I think you meant Molybdenum? Normall added with chrome and steel to produce very strong bicycle frames.... but Moly on it's own for anti-friction coatings? Not heard of that personally but I'm no metallurgist so can't say for sure!

they used Molybdenum to coat the inner wall of the cylinder on the Z, I thought it was for heat transfer. The difference between his FI and the VR6 FI is that he has an aluminum block while the VR's is cast iron, your car can handle it, his cant.

found a website that said Molybdenum is used for aircraft, missles, and protective coatings... =-/ it was also mentioned in sport compact car when they did an expose' on a 425 hp sc'ed Z

It cracks me up all the talk of racing this and that.At the end of the day if you beat the other guy then you did beat him!!!

If he wasn't trying or was low on boost :roll: ,still running it in :wink: or whatever the excuse it doesn't really matter, but in all honesty do you really think the car any of us drive is as fast as we make out.

Between my 16v and my bros 02 Civic Type R there is little in it even flat out at a speedo indicated 146 for me but in reality can my car be really as fast as a 200bhp state of the art hot hatch? I think not :? and even if it was my car would certainly break down first at continued flat out pace.

Any car is only as fast as it is on the day regardless of tune or money spent.

My mates 350z is also charged and is close to 500bhp but i could beat it if the charger belt failed. :lol: If it happens i'll be there.

Too right! Racing isnt just about how fast ya car is. Its how well you know your car and moreover how big your b******s are! Figurativley speaking of course.

So why do they use alu block if it's not as strong as cast iron? obviously it is lighter, but any other benefits?

I'm sorry but this side of the pond we are a cynical bunch and I find it hard to believe your 200bhp G60 beat a FI 350Z!

And despite what you heard, that isn't really evidence as such, it doesn't even matter anyway but keep up the Corrado enthusiasm stateside! aaaiii

So why do they use alu block if it's not as strong as cast iron? obviously it is lighter, but any other benefits?

Jeez is that not benefit enough? Cast iron is way over twice as dense as Alu - reason enough for me.

they have it, it costs too much to make a block out of. titanium block.... makes sense. good heat transfer, strong, keeps its shape, doesnt warp. a 200 bhp G60 that weighs 2400,YES 2400! lbs with a driver and gas will KEEP UP WITH a 300whp sc'ed Z that weighs 3400 lbs with a driver and gas any day.

WILL PEOPLE PLEASE READ THE WEIGHT!!!!!!! HP IS NOT ALL THAT MATTERS IN THE WORLD!

>=-|

WILL PEOPLE PLEASE READ THE WEIGHT!!!!!!! HP IS NOT ALL THAT MATTERS IN THE WORLD!

>=-|

thats something i really do wish people kept in mind :)

well at least one other person understands.

I had a bug and everyone said I was slow cause I had 170 hp.... oh how wrong they were....

bug weighed 1800 lbs, that thing was quicker than shit, it did low 13's in the quarter mile with a quarter tank of gas.

ALL OF YOU PEOPLE WHO DONT BELIEVE ME CHECK THIS OUT!

http://www.dsm.org/tools/calchp.htm

hehe :D

that calc is pretty dam cool !

my mates fiesta zetec -s weighs about half of what my corrado does,and his goes a fair bit quicker than my c does in 2nd to 3rd gear (but i know id have him on top end cos they seem to go flat at 110mph)

+ i have around 15-20 bhp more than him

I've driven a Zetec S, i really like it but it actually weighs 1tonne so probably less than 20% lighter than a Corrado, would be very similar to a Corrado acceleration and it has good handling too. But gearing plays a big part. People on this forum have said that a 350Z non FI) has toasted there 200+bhp VR which only weighs about 50k more than a G60 so lets just say it comes down to the driver and be donw eith it.

yeah VR6storm I know its amazing that I kept up while I was having overheating issues. the temp shot up to about 235 F when I did it tho, though what the hell its gonna overheat anyways... =-/