Sign in to follow this  
Shilakadaddy

Golf G60 Intercooler - Installation is finished!

Although I dont have a Golf or Rallye IC my IC is mounted in front of the rad. While fitting I was concerned it would lead to higher water temps cause its blocking air flow to the rad but in reality everything is normal. I suppose with the bigger IC engine temps are lower then normal so water temps wont rise as a result of less air flow.

Looking to get an oil cooler soon and reduce temps even further.

Heres some random photo's of the progress... We're currently making up some new brackets to mount the oil cooler where the old intercooler was, then will need to mount the radiator slightly further back, chop the main boost pipe down slightly, finish the bumper and cut the front fin off the intercooler... then I can start rebuilding :)

Nice one - looks so much neater without that horrible baffle box coming out of the charger, the u-bend will never leak aswell which is cool.

The biggest difference I noticed was how much better the car pulled through the gears! There's def a good power increase.

And I'm finished :D

I'll do the write up over the next few days probably, I've taken loads of photos so it should cover everything that needs to be considered :)

As for the difference its made... well its not night and day, but theres certainly a power increase! 3rd gear now feels like second, and the car pulls all the way to redline :) I was expecting more above 100mph - I thought thats when you'd really notice the difference, but supprisingly not... Either way I'm chuffed :D Plus I think theres more power to come if I take the car to G-Werks or Stealth to get it properly set up! I'm going to a rolling road day at the end of November, so we'll see how much power its making then.

I've attached a couple of pictures just to show it finished. Note how the grille changes :( ...I was 'testing' the new performance last night, and the rieger grille didn't take too kindly to going 150mph and flew off!! Scared the crap out of me - large piece of plastic hitting my windscreen at 150mph!! :shock: I went back to see if it was still alive, but unfortunately its now in many pieces spread across the road :(

Although I think it looks kinda cool with the old grille now :lol:

sorry to hijack but if anyone is looking to fit a rallye i/c in the near future i have the rsr and samcos and pipe to fit from the charger exhaust to the i/c inlet for sale next month

Nice one mate, like the cut out in the front bumper, Never got to appreciate the difference it made on mine as it was already fitted when i bought the car. Nice work!!

good work there mate

you must have properly shiv yourself with the whole grill coming off :lol:

ben

good work there mate

you must have properly shiv yourself with the whole grill coming off :lol:

ben

Yeah it wasn't fun! I won't be doing that again in a hurry! :oops:

DANG60, are you gonna come to the Section 5 meet in Yarm on Tuesday night? There's more info about it on the demon forum... would be cool to have 3 G60's there (there's another red one in S5).