Sign in to follow this  
saysomestuff

[No Longer] Stuck in Wiltshire [Crank Sprocket Sheared]

Hey all,

Car has been running sh!t recently, took a turn for the worse on Friday when the manifold was glowing! Timing is obviously out by a country mile, the centre box was too hot to touch after running the car for about 2minutes!! So I'm stuck here until I get it sorted.

My question is, what can make the timing go out so badly? I'll get the timing done tomorrow but is there anything else that could be causing it to be out? e.g. knock sensors, lambda buggering up mixture etc.etc.etc

Where abouts are you stuck I have a timing light if ya need one and are closeish.
That's very kind of you mate, I;m in Westbury. I don't exactly know how to sort the timing, is it easy to do?

Yeah should be its a 16v so its just a case of looking what is should be (have a haynes for a goof it will be in there) and twisting the dizzy to get it right.

Westbury is only 5 mins away so if you want to give it a shot give me a ring on 01225 ******

Ah bigpants, chris (2cc) has pointed your gaff out when we went through darkest BoA the other week!

There is at least another 2 C's native to Trowbridge, another early blue one, and a red one that hangs around by Kwik Fit..

Just a quick update on the bu66ered C front.

Yan(dards), Chris (2cc) and myself spent today with the car, thanks so much for coming to my rescue guys :notworthy: Yan, several beers will be waiting at e38 and Chris you have plenty more questions for the chap in osnabruck!! :lol: but also beers owed. (also thanks Daz from G-Werks for the timing advice)

We have cured the horrific over fuelling with a working (but not the right part - will be changing this week) lambda probe, but all is still not well.

The car will only run nicely (no glowing manifold, 35mpg on the motorway :)) with the ignition as far advanced as the dizzy will physically go :shocked: even VAG are stumped.

Now reading a couple of posts here (and VAG suggested), there is a possibility that the issue is with fuel pressure. Can anyone shed some light?

I will be fitting a new lambda and fuel filter this week but don;t know which other parts are capable of retarding the ignition at such a rate. I will link to this post from the "car is hesitant" post as the guys there are displaying the same symptoms and I think Mistrall is also having similar probs.

Any input gladly accepted

I am thinking that you have a problem with the cam timing. The glowing manifold is the key IMO.

I suspect that the crank pulley may have moved.

I suggest that you pull the plug from number 1 cylinder. Poke a longish screwdriver or similar item down the hole and turn the engine with a socket or rock in gear. You want to get the piston in #1 to TDC(top dead centre). Then check where the rotor arm is pointing. It should be pointing at a small notch in the body of the distributor.

The reasoning behind my theory....

A mate had a 2 litre 16V mk2 that someone created out of a KR. It pulled like a train at small throttle openings but pinked badly if you went too far. We clocked an oil leak from behind the crank pulley. Having bought a new seal we pulled it apart and discovered there was no key left in the bottom pulley.

I have had this myself on the Syncro. It went while I was driving it home from buying it. The crank bolt was little more than finger tight.

Having 'created' a glowing manifold on a mates MK2 GTI years ago. We fitted a 4 branch and snapped a bolt off. Head removed to helicoil the hole. Head re-fitted and cam belt re-fitted. We pulled the intermediate shaft round ( in our ignorance) when doing the belt, the car ran like carp and the manifold looked like it was on afterburner.

While you haven't mentioned pinking, the glowing manifold would hint at the mixture burning in there, rather than the cylinder. A really late spark.

Seriously consider checking the tightness of this bolt and I recommend replacement with the DX bolt.

Gavin

My mate's Mk2 Golf 16v sheared the key on the bottom pulley too. His car did similar things to yours and re-adjusted its timing every time he booted it.

Thanks for your suggestions guys. When timed "correctly" the revs climb steadily to 3k then with constant throttle on 3k, they drop back down the 2k and all torque disappears (chug chug - timing adjusting itself methinks). with the dizzy cap rotated all the way round (a/c from n/s), it runs fine (tickover @ 980ish and picks up nicely)

Obviously i'm worried that if something is out by that much, we could have some valve/piston interaction if it changes again. Is replacing the crank pulley a biggy Gav?

No, providng the crank hasn't been damaged. The pullies seem to wear out before the crank luckily? You can do it from under the wheel arch. A good time to fit a new belt really as you need to de-tension it anyway. Get the DX bolt in and be prepared to buy a new pulley.

Maybe ring VW and order one and don't go and get it if yours is OK. :mrgreen:

Gavin

Not sure on the cost TBH. Ring and check if you like the part number is 027 105 263B, Bolt is N 040 106 4 and the washer is 068 105 193A.

Gavin

That sounds very likely Gav. Damn. Now I wish we had bothered to take the wheelarch shroud out and turned the engine with the pulley bolt, and stuff a screwy down No1 cyl, instead of just thinking about it! Might have spotted something amiss with it if we had.

Carl, have you checked yet to see if Dave's Mum is available for this task? :lol:

Glad you got home OK. Keep us posted on developments.

Did you get that crank pulley? I bought one from the stealers for my 1993 16v last month and it cost £63.73 inc.vat! Had to get it imported from Germany as apparantly it was the only one left anywhere in Europe!?! Something about a vibration damper made it an unusual part I believe, all I know is it was wobblin about like a spinning top running out of puff and didn't look safe.

£20.60 eh :x That means the vibration damper thingy made it cost an extra £40 ... man I hate the stealers!

As far as I know the timing wasn't advanced or anything before I had it fixed cos it was running fine, but the pulley wobbled more than this smiley -> :scrambleup: which was then messing up all the surrounding belts.

I was pretty lucky with mine though, got it in June with 140k but it was lady owned, completely standard and the engine runs fantastically considering the miles, just makes a tappety noise for the first mile or two then it sounds like new 8)