Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigneil

Which bushes to buy?

Hi all

Just thinking about what I should do with all my old rubbers........

I have replaced all the top mounts and the rear axle bushes with VW stuff to keep the ride and the passive stearing.

I don't want the ride to get any harsher but I know the rest of the bushes are a mess so will need to change them all.

Should I buy a full set of Powerflex which can just be pushed in?

Should I take it somewhere and get original bushes pressed in?

Ben told me I can buy some of the parts with bushes already pushed in for around £40 anyway from GSF so might also be worth doing that.

At the moment I have some knocking noises which I'm thinking might be severly worn bushes as the suspension is apparently fine and all the top mounts have been replaced. The ball joints have also been replaced recently.

Neil

I would have said that powerflex buses probably would be too hard and carry too much noise for you... Making that judgement on the fact I've know you for 10 years and knowing what you whinge about.. You're very much like Jay Renshaw who likes refineness and quietness in a car.. I would stick to factory bushes. But you could get some steering rack, anti roll bar powerflex bushes to help the handling a bit. Uprated antiroll bars might be something to look into actually.

You need to speak to people who have used powerflex buses, I've heard a few people saying they are too harsh for every day road use...

(Turbo kits are another thing you need to look into as well ! :) )

I have powerflex front bushes in my syncro, had to do a bit of modifying to fit them. No complaints about noise and vibration.

Gavin

I have new OEM rear bushes, OEM front top mounts and Bugpack Polyeurethane wishbone and anti roll bar bushes. The Poly bushes made no noticable increase to NVH, so I'd go with them.

Making that judgement on the fact I've know you for 10 years and knowing what you whinge about.. You're very much like Jay Renshaw who likes refineness and quietness in a car.. therefore stick to factory bushes. But you could get some steering rack, anti roll bar powerflex bushes to help the handling a bit. Uprated antiroll bars might be something to look into actually.

You need to speak to people who have used powerflex buses, I've heard a few people saying they are too harsh for every day road use...

(Turbo kits are another thing you need to look into as well ! :) )

LOL, sounds just like the way my mate Paul would describe me, who I've also known 10 years. I am a Renshaw clone. I hate rattles, excessive noise, vibration, clonks, etc etc but I can't be arsed to do what he's done though. Sticking to VAG rubber and dynamatting is the extent of my efforts in the pursuit refining a 10 year old jallopy.....and it works.

The powerflexes tend to transmit extra vibration, or should I say, their prescence is felt on certain road surfaces. The rest of the time they're OK.

The only thing I don't like about standard bushes at the front is the wheels skipping about when braking hard on bumpy roads. I might put my Vibratechnics WB bushes back in....

As nosky says, as soon as you start uprating the chassis, you need to uprate the other components to give a balanced end result.....but it's all subjective.

Ben I have poly bushes where it makes a difference. Front wishbones, arb mounts, steering rack and front cross member. The rear beam is OE bushes and the rest of the suspension is brand new OE stuff, ball joints, tie rods, steering rack, arb drop links, bearings etc.. The poly stuff tightens things up nicely but doesn't noticeably change the noise at all.

Loads of sound deadening helps too. I have gone to town with the stuff like Kev.

Agreed Kev I have taken a somewhat extreme approach to modernising the 14 year old Rado. Worth it though as anyone who comes from a drive in it will appreciate I hope. :)

Agreed Kev I have taken a somewhat extreme approach to modernising the 14 year old Rado. Worth it though as anyone who comes from a drive in it will appreciate I hope. :)

I don't doubt that and I can't wait to see it. I'd love to do the same but I haven't got the time and I'd need a second Rado, which I also can't be arsed with. One is more than enough :lol: