Sign in to follow this  
Turbogirlie

Changing Gear Knobs

How do you change the gear knob on a 92 Corrado?

With the Scirocco, they are threaded and I tried to unscrew it. Obviously unsuccessful. Only concern is that the gear lever now rotates - have I buggered something? Should I continue to turn it clockwise to try and undo any unknown harm?

Sorry for inane question. :oops:

...unless you've got an after market knob, in which case it'll use a collection of allen-head stubby screws that screw into the side of the gear stick itself.

If it's a Momo knob, the ring at the bottom of the knob un-screws to reveal the screws holding it on.

You're then free to screw whatever knob you like... on to the stick. :lol:

It is an after market knob which is leather, has no markings on it and comes down the shaft a fair amount. I prefer the original which was given to me with the car. Haven't noticed any allen head screws into the side of the gear stick so maybe it's a Momo knob - sorry but all new to me so a bit double dutch!

Should I be worried that the shaft is rotating when I tried to unscrew the knob?

Getting a hot flush now, talking about knobs and shafts!

It is an after market knob which is leather, has no markings on it and comes down the shaft a fair amount. I prefer the original which was given to me with the car. Haven't noticed any allen head screws into the side of the gear stick so maybe it's a Momo knob - sorry but all new to me so a bit double dutch!

Should I be worried that the shaft is rotating when I tried to unscrew the knob?

comes down the shaft a fair amount..

which was given to me with the car..

Should I be worried that the shaft is rotating when I tried to unscrew the knob?..

Must.. resist.. comment.. :gag:

Could you not take a piccie of it and post it up? I'm sure someone will recognise it and know how to remove it...

Rudeness...!!!!!!!!!! ;)

There's gotta be some allen bolts there somewhere holding it in... have you lifted the gaitor right up to see if they're underneath that?

Did that, no bolts. I'll take Scarletts advice and put a pix on the site another night to see if anyone recognises it... will plod on and see if we can overcome! Have just arranged to buy a manual on CD from Chris via Ebay so that'll be a big help I hope!

(PS - many thanks again!)