Sign in to follow this  
chuck

Clash noise from suspension.

Hi all.

I have an extremely annoying noise coming from the front suspension when I go over rough roads. Sounds like a clash, like an iron bar hitting a tin can full of nuts and bolts. Quite loud, but can't hear it with the windows up.

I've already replaced struts and springs and top mounts, wishbones and balljoints and bushes in the last 6 months. The only thing i can see thats obviously wrong is the Eibach anti roll bar rubs on the wishbone! THis can only be seen with weight on the wheels, as jacked up it all separates.

I have spaced the wishbone to roll bar connector up with a few extra washers. I have also (very lightly!!) rubbed a bit away from the wishbone. This all helps, but I am very reluctant to rub (grind :twisted: ) any more off the wishbones. I had a few mechanics look at it, and they all said the same. (funny thing tho, I think it clanked after i replaced the struts and springs (eibach again), and before i put the new arb's in!)

So what I'm asking is, has anyone with eibach arb's experienced anything like this before???? If not, any ideas??

Eibachs have never touched the Wishbones in my experience. Did you fit the bar dead centrally? if not, the side that's longest in will clout the wishbone.

Could also be your brake disc shields?

Kev

Is there any chance they could have given me the wrong ones. They're definately the same as the golf mk2 ones?? - cuz thats what the box said.

When jacked up the ends rub on the CV boots too. So I was never very happy with the fit.

When fitted to wisbone as per VW (1 washer) and weight on the wheels, they hit hard just where the arb first leaves the wishbone. Then on the second corner, the paint on both the arb and wishone has rubbed off. The extra washers at the wishbone solved the 1st problem, but not the second.

The brake covers seem solid, I just painted them too.

I also think its pretty central - sound is from both sides anyway.

Can the struts be fitted wrong, cuz it all happened after that? (wot stops the disc ontop of the top-mount from hitting the body work when the wheel disappears down a hole?)

Mine make the exact same noise but all I had done was eibach springs & koni shocks fitted. Still dont know whats causing the noise :(

Jim

Yea, I really don't think its the roll bars (tho they do touch a bit). the viper dropshox on my rocco make the very same noise. Nothings loose and everythings (yes everything) is new up front.

It sounds terrible but theres no clunk thru the steering wheel. If you ever do find out what it is, please get back to me.

Just an idea, but jack it up and hit the tyre with a lump hammer and see if there are any rattles? Might rule out a few things...?

What a great suggestion. Just tried that - didn't even have to jack it up. just hit the tyre wall with my hand, and there was a funny crashy rattle.

Turns out the calliper moves a bit over the carrier. (turn the wheel and hold the calliper and it doesn't rattle. Probably when I put the harder Eibach springs on it shakes the strut more when hitting a sharp bump.

Now question is, what is causing this. Is there a slieve or something on the calliper bolts that can wear?? (haynes for the golf shows a slightly different calliper that the raddo)

Cheers

I took callipers off this morning, and the two guide pins in the carriers are loose as hell. (how snug a fit should they be????).

So i stuffed each slot with loads of grease and reassembled it all. It certainly helps the problem alot, its now only the very big bumps that induce a clank.

Can i just replace the guide pins, or is there a bush in the carriers that comes out too?

The only thing i can see thats obviously wrong is the Eibach anti roll bar rubs on the wishbone! THis can only be seen with weight on the wheels, as jacked up it all separates.

So what I'm asking is, has anyone with eibach arb's experienced anything like this before???? If not, any ideas??

Anyone know the reason for this? Mine is doing it now :(

Anyone know the reason for this? Mine is doing it now :(

Turns out my mechanic (who had fitted 2x new wishbones) had managed to get the anti roll bar off centre, so a quick undo of the subframe mounts and a bash over did the trick to centre it up.

The roll bar is very very close to the wishbones, though doesn't seem to contact any more (mines a VR6).