Sign in to follow this  
raypau

Demons in the temp gauge

I am sure some of you know the overheating problems I have had with my corrado VR6, but following that I am now suffering any annoying problem. The temp gauge is giving me really wierd readings, oil temp is normal. Example 1: Temperature is high say 110, but then will suddenly fall down to 70 and then level out or do the same thing.

Example 2: Possibly the give away. Drove the car around and temp gauge was reading high, left it overnight, 12hrs minimum, temp gauge still read high.

Think temp sensors/sender has gone, fan is working as far as I can tell.

Please help!!! Have just spent £400 sorting out the initial problem :cry:

Ray

Does your fuel gauge give erratic readings too? If so might be the voltage reg. for the ins. cluster.

If not, might be an earth somewhere or as you say, the sender.

Fuel gauge is fine. That what a mechanic friend thought, although not a VW mechanic, that the connections were not earthed properly hence the funny readings

Check that the sensor is sitting properly on the expansion tank. Mine came loose once on my Golf which gave doggy readings untill I cliped it back in properly.

Just thinking of what could be causing your problem.

Check that the sensor is sitting properly on the expansion tank. Mine came loose once on my Golf which gave doggy(!) readings untill I cliped it back in properly.

Just thinking of what could be causing your problem.

The one on the expansion tank is just for the low level. The temp sensor is in a hose somewhere... from ETKA it looks like it's round about the thermostat housing area... part no. 5

Are there not two temp sensors? There were two at the front of the engine, I presume one would be the sensor but which one would be the one sending the info to the gauge? Apologies in advance, am still learning!!!

Are there not two temp sensors? There were two at the front of the engine, I presume one would be the sensor but which one would be the one sending the info to the gauge? Apologies in advance, am still learning!!!

Actually there are three !!! -

in the diagram above 5 is for the temperature gauge, 6 is for the ECU and 7 is for the radiator fan.

ETKA is a CD-ROM parts catalog for VW/AUDI. Useful because apart from the part numbers it gives you exploded diagrams like the ones above.

There is no Haynes for the Corrado. There is an American manual by "Robert Bentley" (usually referred to as the Bentley manual) which although for the American variant is generally very good though pricey. There is also a "pocket mechanic" (???) book for the VR6 engine which I believe vr6storm (amongst others) has.

Also there is a manual sold in Halfords for the Golf/Polo/Scirocco/Corrado by Lindsey Porter which has some useful info, but the diagrams look exactly like those from ETKA...

HTH,

Also there is a manual sold in Halfords for the Golf/Polo/Scirocco/Corrado by Lindsey Porter which has some useful info, but the diagrams look exactly like those from ETKA...

pretty sure the Lindsey Porter manual only covers the 16-valve Corrado

Nope. Definitely got ABV (i.e. 2.9 engine) in it :-)

Nope. Definitely got ABV (i.e. 2.9 engine) in it :-)

cool 8) ..........guess i'll be buying that then :wink: ......and i stand corrected too :oops:......though in my defence i looked at one last year and it only covered the 16valvers :wink:

Anyone know where I can get a hold of a copy of ETKA and how much it costs? I assume it covers all Corrado models and runs on a PC? It would be proper bo if I could get it I tell thee! Can I get a reeewind?