Sign in to follow this  
stormseeker

VR6 starts when cold, idles at 1500rpm for1 sec. then dies

A problem I've noticed a few times in the past, but now has happened regularly over the past few days.

VR6 starts when cold, idles at 1500rpm for 1 second then dies. Usually will start 2nd time, idle goes up to 1500rpm (sometimes more) then slowly drops to 1000ish rpm. Car feels slightly hestitant/misfiring for first few minutes of driving. Otherwise, seems OK. mpg normal, peformance normal :twisted:

Any ideas?

Could it be a fuel starvation or something like that? Fuel pump? Sounds like the causes to me. When did you last do the fuel pump and / or fuel filter?

This is a very common imobiliser intermitent fault which I as well as many others have suffered from. It will happen more often when the car is hot and not first thing in the morning. Firstly take the fuse box panel off and make sure the relays are pushed in properly. Ill find the rest of the imfo for you to cure it too but need to look through my mails.

Dave

Here we are.Chris

I believe Dom has a picture of where this is: but basically you do the following:

Basically, you need to spray the contact points with WD40 or similar and then all is well. Now, I was sceptical but I haven't had a problem since. What you need to do is take out the fuse box flap and then the trim surrounding it. Behind what is almost the headlight switch is a thin black box a little bigger than a box of cigs (you really need to wiggle around with a torch to find it. There are a couple of wires coming in, unattach these spray with liberal amounts of WD40 and replace. It is also worth checking that the brown lead that comes out is securely grounded on an appropriate point.

It does though sound like exactly the same issue we've both had.

Tis is the mail that was sent to me.

Good luck. Dave

Here we are.Chris

It does though sound like exactly the same issue we've both had.

Tis is the mail that was sent to me.

Good luck. Dave

Many thanks for that - I'll give it a go...

If you're still in trouble, I suggest you checkout the connections of the wiring to the O2 sensor on the cat. I live on a bumpy road and mine was jiggled on the cat. I simply removed it, wiped it clean and put it back (and sprayed switch cleaner on the plug that goes to the terminal by the firewall). That cleared the problem.

Looking at the vortex site, it seems that the 02 sensor is the number one culprit on silly idle, followed by the coil pack.....